Twitist Forums
How to keep a child from continually cussing? - Printable Version

+- Twitist Forums (http://twitist.com)
+-- Forum: Facebook forums (/forum-14.html)
+--- Forum: General facebook and life forums (/forum-25.html)
+--- Thread: How to keep a child from continually cussing? (/thread-32918.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

- teenylumber524 - 11-09-2012 06:29 PM

Start giving the child a small allowance ($2- $3)... Then deduct money($0.10) for each swear...

At the beginning of the week (I started each Saturday morning) the child's allowance should be placed on display in dimes.. (I used a coin collection board found at any collectors store under $5.00)... Explain to the child that any dimes left at the end of the week are theirs to keep, but a coin will be removed for each swear... (Place a container next to the board to put the removed coins in... I used a baby food jar as it filled up faster and looked like more) When the child swears have them remove a coin for each word used and place it in the container...

Children are greedy they quickly learn they'd rather have the cash than use the words...

It took under $10.00 in deductions to get the worst of my 3 to stop....

- vmo - 11-09-2012 06:29 PM

Well the first step is to find out where the child is learning the words, and cut off contact with that source. If it's coming from the parents themselves, everyone needs to learn to replace the cuss words with less harmful words. I had a mouth like a sailor until my now four year old started learning how to talk. Trust me, it's very hard to stop cussing. We've successfully replaced all bad words with something ridiculous. Our son doesn't use any bad words, and when learning a new word, he always asks if it's good or bad. And the best part about it is seeing the looks on my husband's basketball teammates faces when he misses a shot and yells "Tartar sauce!!"

- DD - 11-09-2012 06:29 PM

Maybe you should have him tested for tourette syndrome

- Queen N - 11-09-2012 06:29 PM

What my mom did to me when I was about 5 for talking back:
Powdered hot mustard (kept in the spices aisle at the grocery store) on the tongue, she left it on there for a minute or two without letting me close my mouth or get water.
I'm 20, I haven't talked back since.
It was her last resort, punishing, grounding, taking toys away, spanking, and soap didn't work.

Another one:
This is a legend in our family, my great-grandfather used to do it, my grandmother and all her siblings are 76-51 years old and they still talk about it:
You take a pinch of uncooked rice, put it on a hard floor (wood, tile, linoleum, etc). You make two piles and spread the rice out a little bit (no more than 10 grains each) and make the child kneel on the rice (right on the knee caps) for a few minutes. You then let the child off the rice, but make him pick up every single grain himself.
Great-Grandpa only had to do that 7 times (he had 7 kids). After you got it once, all you had to hear was "you want the rice?" and they all behaved.

- Katie T - 11-09-2012 06:29 PM

My son had a problem. I washed his mouth out with Bath and Body Works Sweet Pea hand soap. He hasn't cussed since.

- PRETTYNENA - 11-09-2012 06:29 PM

She can do what my dad did with my brother when he was little, get a Jalapeño or Chipotle pepper (any spicy pepper) and rub it in his mouth until the pepper releases all the spicy juices or some hot sauce put it in his mouth and don't allow him to wash it out.
It worked with my brother!

- Midnightfeather807 - 11-09-2012 06:29 PM

Try giving them vinegar water, I cuss and when my mom finds out, my mom makes me drink nothing but vinegar in water until the milk jug is empty.

- lmx1000 - 11-09-2012 06:29 PM

I was the same way when I was a kid and my mom tried bar soap, liquid soap and even tabasco but the one thing that really worked for me was hitting me. Most parents now days WILL NOT hit there kids cause they think they can solve things by talking, my mother wore my ass out if I swore around or at her and I learned not to do it. It's not beating it's just a punishment.

- LINDA R - 11-09-2012 06:29 PM

Make sure there is NO ONE around them who cusses and put hot sauce on their tongues.

- squaredaughter553 - 11-09-2012 06:29 PM

Tell them if they're going to curse you aren't going to listen to them.

ex: "hey mom I'm going to my friends house"
*kid opens door*
"where are you going?"
"my friends house"
"I ASKED YOU A QUESTOIN, GET BACK IN HERE"

*kid comes home from somewhere and knocks on the door*
mom: woops I didn't hear that. LOOOOOOOL