Twitist Forums
Is hacking someones Facebook and Yahoo accounts a felony? Is it a Homeland Security issue? - Printable Version

+- Twitist Forums (http://twitist.com)
+-- Forum: Facebook forums (/forum-14.html)
+--- Forum: General facebook and life forums (/forum-25.html)
+--- Thread: Is hacking someones Facebook and Yahoo accounts a felony? Is it a Homeland Security issue? (/thread-34733.html)

Is hacking someones Facebook and Yahoo accounts a felony? Is it a Homeland Security issue? - afuzzydame2 - 11-09-2012 07:25 PM

My son's Mother-in-law has been going secretly into my sons FB and other social network emails and relaying "bastardiized", inflammatory versions of information she finds back to her daughter, outright lies. I know, my son is on my FB page, etc. I need to give my son and daughter-in-law an aswer to these questions. Please advise, what would be the next step?
My son did not give up his password.

- The Obese Dot - 11-09-2012 07:33 PM

yes, that is a felony. your son's mother in law could go to jail

- gerherj - 11-09-2012 07:33 PM

Your son probably gave his password away.

- Jim Bob - 11-09-2012 07:33 PM

No..

- Harry Clough - 11-09-2012 07:33 PM

I think it would be reported to Facebook and final decisions would be made by Facebook as they can then decide if it is to go any further.

- kate - 11-09-2012 07:33 PM

i'm pretty sure it's not a felony.. but why don't you have him just change the passwords?

- Ande - 11-09-2012 07:33 PM

Let me put it like this: is your mother-in-law authorized to get access to his account? If not, then yes, it's a felony. If your son gave her the go ahead in advance, then no, it's not.

- Justin - 11-09-2012 07:33 PM

No, its not a felony, it is against the websites terms of service, report them to the site moderators and have them change the password.