Twitist Forums
Do I need a personal website to supplement my job search? - Printable Version

+- Twitist Forums (http://twitist.com)
+-- Forum: Twitter forums (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Twitter privacy (/forum-23.html)
+--- Thread: Do I need a personal website to supplement my job search? (/thread-37078.html)

Do I need a personal website to supplement my job search? - Gregory F - 11-09-2012 08:44 PM

I have heard that during the interview process, some employers ask if the prospect has a personal website. Does this question refer to the social networking sites (facebook, linkedin, twitter, etc) or does it refer to a standalone blog or other personal site?

- garyg7 - 11-09-2012 08:52 PM

It depends on the type of job. Be careful here. More and more employers are checking Facebook, Myspace, and Twitter for inappropriate behavior. For example, pictures of you with a bong (a water pipe used for smoking marijuana), or if you are underage, a picture of you with alcohol. (Some people might assume that any plastic cup holds alcohol.) Check your privacy settings to prevent someone who isn't your friend on these services from seeing much information.

If you have a profile on LinkedIn, make certain it is up to date. Consider it as a resume so don't have negative comments about former employers.

If you are applying to be a reporter, a professionally written blog could be a plus.

I hope this helps.
Gary