Twitist Forums
What does everyone think about homeschooling kids? - Printable Version

+- Twitist Forums (http://twitist.com)
+-- Forum: Facebook forums (/forum-14.html)
+--- Forum: General facebook and life forums (/forum-25.html)
+--- Thread: What does everyone think about homeschooling kids? (/thread-37283.html)

Pages: 1 2

What does everyone think about homeschooling kids? - Michelle P - 11-09-2012 08:52 PM

I do not home school my kids, I don't really think homeschooling is the best choice for kids. My husband got screamed at, by his overly religious sister, because he said he didn't agree with homeschooling, but he also said that was just his opinion. It was a random survey on facebook and she flipped a cow over it.

- Ms. Daisy - 11-09-2012 09:00 PM

Homeschooling is not a very good choice because it doesn't let kids have much interaction with other kids and whoever is teaching them may not know everything that they have to know. Therefore, they may not get very good jobs.

- nuclearbombs - 11-09-2012 09:00 PM

The homeschooling experience depends on the parent and on the location and availability of extracurricular activities.

On the one hand, if you have motivated parents in a place where there are many home schooled students and various opportunities for their kids to interact in extracurricular situations, homeschooling can be a delightful and highly educational endeavor for student and parent.

On the other hand there are people who pull their students out of school because they're mad at the school system or for whatever reason, and then don't make their kids do anything during school, and the kids can become unmotivated and, even worse, despondent.

I was home schooled for most of my education and had chances to gain college credit in high school, participate in varsity basketball and Latin classes with my local home school co-op, and participate in the National Spelling Bee in 8th grade. I also was blessed with a mother who worked hard to plan my studies until I was old enough to plan them myself. Now I am a senior in nuclear engineering at a world-class university. Thus home schooling can work if given a properly motivated student and a devoted parent.

I have been in contact with home schooled students from families who didn't have these luxuries, and suffice to say their stories are quite different from mine. Thus, it all depends on the level of motivation of the student and parent.

- Belle - 11-09-2012 09:00 PM

What's right for one family isn't necessarily right for another. Each should make their own choice based on their own individual needs. If you choose public education for your children, then that must be what is best for your family. I suggest you explain that you have chosen a different alternative for your children than your SIL and wish her well. You are not going to change her mind. Arguing with her is pointless and will only drive her - and the children - further away. Agree to disagree and offer to take the children on a field trip once in awhile. And I'm sorry your opinion of homeschooling is based on this experience. It's not who we are.

- FLmom3 - 11-09-2012 09:00 PM

Homeschooling is the right choice for those who do it! Since you do not, then it is not the right choice for you and your family. Many people who "don't agree" with homeschooling don't really know much about it. If you go onto http://homeschooling.gomilpitas.com you can find out anything and everything related to homeschooling. We homeschool our children and so for us, it is the perfect fit. Our children attended public school for a few years and I am a former teacher, so we have seen both sides of the coin. We absolutely LOVE homeschooling and I see how much our children are learning. Most of all, our children honestly enjoy learning because of the freedom, creativity, and options available with homeschooling. Have a good evening.

- Five TT - 11-09-2012 09:00 PM

Home schooling is a great choice. It's better than Public School (For Me Anyway). Don't listen to Ms. Daisy. She doesn't know what she's talking about & she is just showing her anti home schooling views on everyone. I mean Look At The Statistics, Home schoolers out score the Public School kids on standarized tests time after time & do better in college. If you don't believe me, Look at the Statistics. Home Schooling is a great choice but not for everyone but it is a great choice for people who really want to do it. Since I've been home schooled I have never been happier. I would never choose to go back to Public School. The only bad thing about home schooling is dealing with ignorant people who make up false stereotypes & don't know anything about home schooling. There are many more benefits being home schooled then in a Public School. Like More Freedom. I can make a list of pros but it'll go on forever. That's how good Home Schooling is.

http://www.hslda.org/docs/nche/000000/00000068.asp

http://www.newswithviews.com/Turtel/joel5.htm

- ozboz48 - 11-09-2012 09:00 PM

Homeschooling is one of several educational choices that work quite well, depending on the needs of the child and the family.

Since you are of the opinion that homeschooling i not the best choice, I support you in your decision to have your kids in school. For us, it is the best choice, educationally, socially, emotionally, and in al other ways. I would hope that you would support us in this as we support you.

PS - we are not religious.

All the best.

All the best.

- Marc - 11-09-2012 09:00 PM

home schooling can work if given a properly motivated student and a devoted parent.

- jon144au - 11-09-2012 09:00 PM

Normal people think home-schooled kids are missing a huge part of their education... how to handle social issues. Most home-schooled kids are seen as either social retards, or brainwashed religious freaks.

I wouldn't home-school my kids because of those perceptions... but I live in an area with excellent public schools.

- delightfultemper912 - 11-09-2012 09:00 PM

I'm getting really tired of these questions. Homeschoolers are the same as kids that go to school. School is not the only place that you socialize. Actually...it might just be the worst place because of all the drama and peer pressure that goes on there.
Anyone can be a "social retard" Tongue whether you homeschool or go to school, but that's just offensive that people think their kids are better than yours because they go to school. My mom is smarter than any teacher I've ever had when I went to school. I learn a lot more, I can work at my own pace, and most of all...I have a lot more friends now than I did at school.