Twitist Forums
Is this legal to post online? - Printable Version

+- Twitist Forums (http://twitist.com)
+-- Forum: Facebook forums (/forum-14.html)
+--- Forum: General facebook and life forums (/forum-25.html)
+--- Thread: Is this legal to post online? (/thread-39494.html)

Is this legal to post online? - Blueberries - 11-09-2012 10:35 PM

Someone created a memorial page for my dead family member on Facebook. They listed on there his cause of death as suicide (which is true), but I don't want the cause of death listed on there for the public, and I asked them to take it down. They refused. Is that legal to post that kind of information online? Is there anything I can do about it. I didn't see anything in Facebook's terms of services against it and I don't know all the laws.

- Patrick The mental - 11-09-2012 10:44 PM

not allowed i think.

- Landlord - 11-09-2012 10:44 PM

Of course it is legal. Since when was free speech removed as a basic right?

- Happycemetery219 - 11-09-2012 10:44 PM

Anything that is public record is legal to post, whether you like it or not. Sorry about that. That's just the way that it is.

- Ashley Judd - 11-09-2012 10:44 PM

Unfortunately that is the freedom of speech, it is legal, but you can report it until Facebook takes it down, get a bunch of your friends and continue to report it until it is deleted.

- rickinnocal - 11-09-2012 10:44 PM

Yes.

Sorry, but it would only be illegal if it were defamatory, and a true statement cannot be defamatory.

Richard

- john - 11-09-2012 10:44 PM

Legally, I think you can say pretty much what you like about a dead person. As it is true, there is not much you as a live relative can do about it.

- Rararrar - 11-09-2012 10:44 PM

Freedom of Speech.

It's a b*tch eh?

- Big One 0909 - 11-09-2012 10:44 PM

The person has not committed a crime. but may be civilly liable to at least comply with your wishes., But you will have to sue if your request went ignored.

I can't imagine a person not respecting the wishes of the family of the deceased. To do so is the very height of crassness. This person must have some childish and selfish motive to discredit the memory of your relative. I am sorry you are acquainted with such scum.

- Crystal J - 11-09-2012 10:44 PM

i dnt think its illegal..