Twitist Forums
What are the best options to get rid of a cat? - Printable Version

+- Twitist Forums (http://twitist.com)
+-- Forum: Facebook forums (/forum-14.html)
+--- Forum: General facebook and life forums (/forum-25.html)
+--- Thread: What are the best options to get rid of a cat? (/thread-40161.html)

Pages: 1 2

What are the best options to get rid of a cat? - Dave - 11-10-2012 12:09 AM

My 3 year old boy has developed a severe allergy to our 2 cats. We have no choice and must get them out of the house as soon as possible. What are our options?

- Daffyd J - 11-10-2012 12:17 AM

Drive out into the country and release them. They'll be fine.

- Khalil - 11-10-2012 12:17 AM

WHAT DO YOU MEAN WHAT ARE YOUR OPTIONS YOU ONLY HAVE ONE OPTION. GIVE HIM TO THE VETERINARY CLINIC NOTHING ELSE!!!!!!

- Molly - 11-10-2012 12:17 AM

Don't abandon him! That will make him scared and lonely. He'll live a shorter, not so happy life. Animal Ark is a great animal shelter. Any animal shelter is better than abandoning him.

- Stev_acek - 11-10-2012 12:17 AM

Ask around friends, explain the situation and try to get someone to take them in. It's cruel to just abandon them.

- scrawnyplantation782 - 11-10-2012 12:17 AM

PLEASE do not release the cat into the wilderness. I have a heart for animals and I would try to sell them/get homes for them or take them to a humane society.. try craigslist or a shelter or something, but don't let them out loose. Only take them out and leave them if your only other option is the pound - please. (They probably won't make it out of the pound cause they'll put them asleep.) I live "out in the country" and people always dump their strays near my house and they find their way over here and I have to take care of them. It can be a burden for people who care, and some people may not have such a heart for the cats and they might shoot them, I know someone who does that. And if they've been domesticated for their whole lives, chances are, they won't survive in the wild, no matter how big of a part instinct may play, they haven't been on their own before.

- krystal - 11-10-2012 12:17 AM

theres many options, some people wouldnt like so ill tell you what id do, take a couple pics, put an ad on craigslist and maybe a few other places if you know of them, if after a few days no one will take them take them to a NON KILL shelter or see if a friend or family can take care of them till you or they can find a perminant home for them

- Visualvisitor130 - 11-10-2012 12:17 AM

Oh how lovely that you use the phrase "get rid of" when you're talking about a living, breathing being not a broken chair or TV.

Surrender them to a no-kill shelter. This site lists them by state http://fluffynet.com/no-kill-shelters/

If you're not in the States then just Google where you live and "no-kill shelters".

edit: "Only take them out and leave them if your only other option is the pound - please." WTF? So abandoning them would be better than taking them to a shelter where they'll get fed, taken and hopefully found a new home. Geezus!

- crisalin long - 11-10-2012 12:17 AM

a good idea is to give it to a shelter or a close friend that you know would want and treat it with respect and care another one is sell it on animal sites im sure there some out there! a bad idea is leave it cause that's animal creulity!!!

- Tonocats - 11-10-2012 12:17 AM

Let them become outdoor cats. While I'm not a proponent of cats being outdoors since their life span is drastically reduced, it beats the heck out of disrupting their lives and possibly causing them severe trauma by being given to someone they don't know.