Twitist Forums
How many children become addicts because their parents were also addicts? - Printable Version

+- Twitist Forums (http://twitist.com)
+-- Forum: Facebook forums (/forum-14.html)
+--- Forum: General facebook and life forums (/forum-25.html)
+--- Thread: How many children become addicts because their parents were also addicts? (/thread-40370.html)

How many children become addicts because their parents were also addicts? - Nicole - 11-10-2012 12:26 AM

Im doing a research paper on the topic question, "How does parental substance abuse and alcoholism effect children and how does it influence their later lives?" and I need a primary source which could be a poll. please answer seriously, no joking around. thank you.

- The Captain - 11-10-2012 12:34 AM

my brother in law ((Lets call him JOE)) was adopted when he was less than two years old. His "father" was an alcoholic who was shot by a prostitute outside a bar. He never knew the guy. He was raised by my wifes parents who were churchgoing teetotalers (never drank). JOE became a drug addict and committed suicide four years after graduating highschool and moving out of the in laws house to another town.

- Absterbabe!!! - 11-10-2012 12:34 AM

Parents who are alcoholics are major influences on their children becoming addicts themselves. In fact, children who have one alcoholic parents are twice or even 4 times as likely to become alcoholics themselves when they are older. I have 2 alcoholic parents, my bio mother died when I was 6. Children of alcoholics have pretty much all of the same symptoms of the parents addict except for the substance abuse. They suffer a lot of emotional trauma, become codependent, struggle with relationships and trust issues, depression, etc. I am an ACOA, I'm currently in recovery from growing up in an alcoholic home. Try searching children of alcoholics online, there are many articles on children growing up in alcoholic homes. I am part of several support groups on facebook for adult children of alcoholics, if you need more info on where to get a primary source, please message me.