Twitist Forums
How would you tackle the deficit? - Printable Version

+- Twitist Forums (http://twitist.com)
+-- Forum: General Social Media & Marketing Forums (/forum-8.html)
+--- Forum: Social Marketing (/forum-10.html)
+--- Thread: How would you tackle the deficit? (/thread-41919.html)

Pages: 1 2

How would you tackle the deficit? - Lexi - 11-18-2012 12:59 PM

I believe it's over 900 billion.

What would you do? Withdraw from the EU? Reform benefits? Tackle immigration? Raise taxes on the rich?

And would your policies cost more than they save?

- Jack H - 11-18-2012 01:08 PM

More slowly, keeping people in work is more important than fast reductions.
If Britain left the EU, the farming industry would collapse, it exists on EU subsidies..

It is not possible for normal people to quantify the cost of proposals.

- Bear - 11-18-2012 01:08 PM

Withdraw from the EU.
Stop getting involved in pointless wars.
Stop paying benefits to those not born here.
Benefits for one child only.
Charge non British for use of the NHS.
Cap benefits for the unemployed.It can easily be less than £26,000.
Remove road tax and put it the price on petrol - the bigger the car,or more mileage done,the more you pay.
Cap how much someone can get into debt,with their bank.

- Bazza - 11-18-2012 01:08 PM

Stop all foreign aid. Withdraw from the EU so that illegal and criminal immigrants could be deported.
Benefit reform needs careful planning, but is essential.

- purringpolice667 - 11-18-2012 01:08 PM

Oust Obama would be a great start, then elect someone with EXPERIENCE.

- SW11 - 11-18-2012 01:08 PM

Bazza and Bear have answered for me. Nothing more to add

- Wick - 11-18-2012 01:08 PM

I would cut the military budget by bringing troops home to protect OUR borders, I believe we can defend ourselves against global terrorism from within our own borders.
I would address problems with our immigration policies and ENFORCE them.
I would raise taxes on the rich but only modestly and very gradually.
I would penalize businesses that outsource jobs and I would reward businesses that generate jobs within our country. I would make very modest cuts to all social programs and I would address fraud and abuse. I would end the failed war on drugs and I would make major cuts to all foreign aid.

Realizing that these suggestions would cause a major unemployment crisis I would address that by large tax breaks for small businesses that create jobs,especially manufacturing and production facilities.

- woofer man - 11-18-2012 01:08 PM

Bump up the tariffs on imported goods lower welfare benefits to those who can work but won't tackle the immigration problem and lower taxes to business so that they are able to employ more people .
In answer to your question no I do not believe it would British manufacturing has over the last thirty years or so have been taxed to the hilt and imported goods have flooded the country and are made much cheaper than we can make them meaning that many businesses have gone out of business due to our industrial rules and exorbitant tax systems
Immigration should be a considered factor when there is work available we seem to have more Britons collecting benefits than immigrants by getting our own people back to work there would be no need to import from other countries to do the jobs .

- herbie7754 - 11-18-2012 01:08 PM

I would introduce a sliding scale of personal taxation, the more you earn the higher percentage of tax you pay.
At the moment, tax percentages rise by stepped increments, so that people earning between one amount, and a much higher sum, pay the same percentage tax, so long as they don't enter a lower or higher tax bracket.
My idea is to make a graph with % tax on the vertical axis, and taxable income on the horizontal axis.
Both axis are logarithmic so the more you earn the quicker you pay a higher tax percentage.

Of course, people who earn many millions can always give money to registered charities to reduce their tax burden, or re-invest it WITHIN our own country, to offset this against tax !

- guiri - 11-18-2012 01:08 PM

Decimate the Civil Service.