Twitist Forums
What do you believe is our greatest social problem? - Printable Version

+- Twitist Forums (http://twitist.com)
+-- Forum: General Social Media & Marketing Forums (/forum-8.html)
+--- Forum: Social Marketing (/forum-10.html)
+--- Thread: What do you believe is our greatest social problem? (/thread-43208.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

- bunnyslippers48 - 11-19-2012 02:16 AM

I think our biggest social problem is the way many human beings treat animals. Animals were here long before humans, and humans are considered animals, too, for God's sake. People kill animals to eat, use their fur, etc..., and sometimes they break the law to do so. Think about it. We have no right to do this to animals.

That being said, there is no "greatest social problem". All socials problems, big or small, are just that--PROBLEMS. If we're gonna fight for social justice, we need to look at the big picture, close in on one issue, and then go back to the big picture. It helps if you're passionate about a certain topic, yes, but what really helps is to get things "fixed".

- Firecube ♥ MJ - 11-19-2012 02:16 AM

Not enough hot likeable women.

- Mike - 11-19-2012 02:16 AM

A removal from our natural communal instincts of family and love to individual ideals and materialism.

By not satisfying our emotional needs we become depressed and seek to use other outlets as self medication: Retail therapy, addictions to drink, alcohol, sex just about anything that distracts us from our emotional needs that we are conditioned to think are "uncool" by society.

- PICK A CHOO - 11-19-2012 02:16 AM

BOOZE

- Squid - 11-19-2012 02:16 AM

teenage health

- Visualtwig695 - 11-19-2012 02:16 AM

I regard the biggest problem to be greed and arrogance among the most powerful people in our global society. The worlds wealthiest and most influential industrialists, the people who could turn around so many of the world's problems if they wished to do so (including pollution, war and poverty), instead seek to manipulate the population to further their own selfish goals, and continue to farm their enslaved global market. Instead of encouraging a spirit of worldwide co-operation to meet the world's problems together, we have worldwide competition in the free market, a lop-sided competition where the handful of winners stay on top and everyone else remains firmly beneath their thumb - everyone for themselves. It's going to be the end of our civilization, as we confront the growing reality of an uninhabitable and overpopulated planet with too little, too late.

- HatrickP - 11-19-2012 02:16 AM

Social conservatism / judgementalness / prudishness / bigotry / whatever you like to call it. Our society craves uniformity - anyone who doesn't fit in with the majority profile (IE, "normal") is regarded as having a 'disorder' or a 'personality defect'. It very, very much depresses me.

There are two issues in it. firstly, there's the standard fundie conservative attitude that anything even remotely sexual is almost always something to be hidden and restricted. The fact that there were thousands of complaints just because a singer showed her breast on TV during the superbowl illustrates that. What's wrong with it? Whom does it harm? Do these prudish fundies turn to stone upon seeing an "indecent" body part, or what?

The second issue is in my view much more dangerous and deep rooted, and that is that you can do wrong even if you're not infringing someone else's rights. In my view, as long as everyone who is affected by something has agreed 100% to be involved in it, no one else has the right to an opinion. Obviously issues like gay marriage, drug use and polygamy are the big victims of that mentality. If it only affects people who chose to do it, why the hell does anyone else have the right to stop them? Where did this idea that the majority can dictate which lifestyles are allowed even if those lifestyles affect only those who choose to live by them come from?

Example:
Pedophilia - wrong because children are not able to make an informed choice.
Bestiality - wrong because the animal is also being forced into the act.
Forced prostitution - wrong again because the prostitute has no choice.

But what about private prostitution? What if someone decides of their own free will to sell their sexuality? It's not something I would ever consider doing, the thought depresses me, but do I have the right to tell someone else what they can or can't do with their own body?

The same can be said for homosexuality and polygamy, drug use, euthanasia, etc. If it's a personal choice and it affects no one else, society should not have any right to control it.

- ihavenoname - 11-19-2012 02:16 AM

lack of classy women / kids losing virginity at 12 / low self-respect in women.

They all go together.

- mike UK - 11-19-2012 02:16 AM

Mass immigration which was done in secret without a single word to the real Brits.

They have ruined our beautiful historic northern European country for reasons only understood by politicians, nobody else

- Soggy Waffles - 11-19-2012 02:16 AM

The inability to accept change in the world. People don't want gay/lesbian/bi/transgendered people to be able to get married. People didn't want an African-American president. People don't want to accept that they are the cause and destruction of our world through pollution, deforestation, dumping etc... CEO's don't want to accept the consequences and changes because the economy has drowned on its own regurgitated vomit. Christians refusing to believe their son is gay and omits the changes in their relationship and behaviors. People are afraid of change...so yeah Obama, where's my change and free universal healthcare?