Twitist Forums
Is there a secular reason to oppose gay marriage? - Printable Version

+- Twitist Forums (http://twitist.com)
+-- Forum: General Social Media & Marketing Forums (/forum-8.html)
+--- Forum: Social Marketing (/forum-10.html)
+--- Thread: Is there a secular reason to oppose gay marriage? (/thread-43690.html)

Pages: 1 2

- middlegirl - 11-19-2012 02:37 AM

its doesnt actually say homosexuality is a sin anywhere specifically. i think it would make the country better, more people would have their spirits up and more hope (i think). its associated with the republican party because just about all of them are opposed to gay marriage.

- Beautifulstranger - 11-19-2012 02:37 AM

1. no there is no reason secularily for gay marriage to be banned
2. in the original bible there is NOOOO mention of anything against gay marriage... just something about man and woman marriage which the probably didnt realise would be taken to mean that gay people shouldnt marry
3. republicans are conservative and things so dont like anything that isnt like perfect american dream-like

- A Thoughtful Man - 11-19-2012 02:37 AM

I can't for the life of me think of a purely secular reason to oppose gay marriage.

For reasons of upholding public health by encouraging monogamy alone, one would think everyone should support it.

Well, it's true that the libertarian wing of the Republican Party wishes the question to be addressed by state legislatures.

But the social conservative, evangelical wing of the GOP really wants to control the behavior of others and to make sure we are following God's laws as *they* understand them.

Ron Paul would not oppose gay marriage, but Glenn Beck or Pat Robertson would.

- How_Would_I_Know - 11-19-2012 02:37 AM

Allowing people to demand extra rights and special treatment based on them making a "lifestyle" choice is wrong.

No choice you can make makes you deserve any more rights than everybody else.

- Country Wisdom - 11-19-2012 02:37 AM

It wouldn't have any effect on society. People are just afraid and ignorant.

- Nef - 11-19-2012 02:37 AM

Christian or atheist

Republican or Democrat

black or white

NO ONE has the right to tell gay people how to live their lives and who they should love or marry. Bottom line!

- Liebestraum - 11-19-2012 02:37 AM

You may want to read about Sodom and Gomorrah if you are finding a secular reason that opposes gay marriage... well not actually gay marriage per se, but really more on homosexuality.

- hollowincome859 - 11-19-2012 02:37 AM

Simply put, no. No logical reason exists that can oppose gay marriage other than 'appeal to tradition' arguments.

Well, limited government refers to keeping the government out of private lives, which can include the gay community, and give them the right to marry and join the military, for example, so it has much to do with it. Ironically, even though Republicans claim to support 'limited government,' clearly their ideology is *limited* only to fiscal economics, meaning they want the government limited...only to their money. "They're raising our taxes" cries cry as an opposition to big government. Their desire for limited government doesn't apply to social politics, considering how they use church and religion to control our privates lives, even in the bedroom. However, ironically again, the "free-market" harms developed society more than help it because less taxes drive the country into recessions, and the average person does NOT follow every aspect of the constitution. If they did, we'd have the right to marry centuries ago, and I literally mean centuries ago.

- obedientelbow176 - 11-19-2012 02:37 AM

There are no repercussions to allowing gay marriage nationally as well as globally; the evidence is already here:
Check out the states and countries that have had gay marriage legalized for years now. Do you see the sky falling? Do you see a collapse in our government? (You mention the economical decline we're in and I'll hurt you)

Religion has no place in our governing laws, if it did we wouldn't have different religions in this country now would we?

Republicans for the most part are in favor of traditional values and are conservative in their political views. One of these political views is their stance on gay marriage, which obviously is not favorable.

As for the last part:
Free market is limited governmental power and constitutionalism is when the power is through the people that connects the limited government....think of it as the general population using the government as puppets, the people control what the government does.

So when it comes to the LGBT community, what this would imply is that the government is not to be involved and that the power of what is said and done in the LGBT community goes to the mass general public of this country. In other words, it wouldn't be good.
The rights that are being denied to the LGBT community are civil and should be handled by the government, but certain people (Republicans) want this vote to go by the public, not by the government. They know if this vote goes to the public (free-market, constitutionalism), it's likeliness of being favored is slim. So when the vote is done, it's pretty much a dead subject and very very difficult to repeal.

I hope I answered what you wanted out of it.

- Steven - 11-19-2012 02:37 AM

There is no other reason esp a secular reason why gay marriage/ rights are opposed. It could be an "us" and "them" thing that the "thems" are the ones who are treated less. It could be a society thing that gay rights/marriage are repressed. I cannot think of any reason, good or otherwise, that one person or group can repress another group based on race, religion, nationality, sex/ gender orientation, etc.

There is no reason what so ever. Not even religion is a good reason.