Twitist Forums
In UK, Twitter, Facebook rants land some in jail. Can this happen in USA? - Printable Version

+- Twitist Forums (http://twitist.com)
+-- Forum: Twitter forums (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Twitter General help (/forum-6.html)
+--- Thread: In UK, Twitter, Facebook rants land some in jail. Can this happen in USA? (/thread-45670.html)

Pages: 1 2

In UK, Twitter, Facebook rants land some in jail. Can this happen in USA? - Obama hood - Spread the Wealth - 11-27-2012 06:33 AM

http://www.myfoxny.com/story/20104567/in-uk-twitter-facebook-rants-land-some-in-jail

LONDON (AP) — One teenager made offensive comments about a murdered child on Twitter. Another young man wrote on Facebook that British soldiers should "go to hell." A third posted a picture of a burning paper poppy, symbol of remembrance of war dead.

All were arrested, two convicted, and one jailed — and they're not the only ones. In Britain, hundreds of people are prosecuted each year for posts, tweets, texts and emails deemed menacing, indecent, offensive or obscene, and the number is growing as our online lives expand.

Lawyers say the mounting tally shows the problems of a legal system trying to regulate 21st century communications with 20th century laws. Civil libertarians say it is a threat to free speech in an age when the Internet gives everyone the power to be heard around the world.

- Fetus - 11-27-2012 06:41 AM

No,
But Paula's "KellyPatrol" tirade will put her in the pen

- kraizzykasey - 11-27-2012 06:41 AM

I doubt it.

- Typical Texan - 11-27-2012 06:41 AM

That might happen to you if you don't start taking your meds.

- Happyseed689 - 11-27-2012 06:41 AM

I thought you fascists wanted to jail people for "inciting terrorism".

- Torgo - 11-27-2012 06:41 AM

It's not a 'threat' to free speech in the UK because they don't have a constitutional guarantee of free speech.

In the US, you can go to jail if your posts are threatening or advocate violence, especially against the president. We have plenty of people in the US making offensive comments about murder victims, soldiers, the American flag, etc., but no one goes to jail over them or even pays that much attention to them.

- Gentlemenfeet678 - 11-27-2012 06:41 AM

lol..........So now I'm supposed to believe YOU care about civil liberties?

Where the fk was this when it actually mattered?

- Jim - 11-27-2012 06:41 AM

not Constitutionally, but once we've made a habit of ignoring the Constitution we can do anything we wish!..damn the Constitution!..a concept the Left dearly loves!

- MartinG - 11-27-2012 06:41 AM

Not currently - correct me if I'm wrong but UK and Canada have "hate speech" laws and USA doesn't.

Whether USA should get some is another question...

- R J - 11-27-2012 06:41 AM

yes let's hope so I saw some posts on twitter, facebook and other deals where they actually said our president was a "loser" and couldn't run a lemonade stand much less a country. Some have posted that he is a carter look alike and a muslim and a puppet of the far left bill ayers group. some even posted his wife was not proud of our great country. can you believe that. Oh I thought so