Twitist Forums
What market forces give rise to parenting books that appeal to a parent’s fears and inadequacies ....? - Printable Version

+- Twitist Forums (http://twitist.com)
+-- Forum: General Social Media & Marketing Forums (/forum-8.html)
+--- Forum: General Social Media questions (/forum-9.html)
+--- Thread: What market forces give rise to parenting books that appeal to a parent’s fears and inadequacies ....? (/thread-46446.html)

What market forces give rise to parenting books that appeal to a parent’s fears and inadequacies ....? - Fanaticalson673 - 11-27-2012 06:44 AM

What market forces give rise to parenting books that appeal to a parent’s fears and inadequacies rather than books which present an objective and evenhanded articulation of the state-of-the-science of good parenting?

- Tim - 11-27-2012 06:52 AM

I believe that is also a question that can be asked of social media in general.

But I digress.

I think there are two major reasons. The first is that more edgy things just sell better, because they can catch people's attention when they are on the shelf at a book store.

The second reason is that people do not like theories that are too long, or complicated. They like bite sized pieces. However, with a majority of the issues you face in child rearing, they are never really bite sized.