Twitist Forums
How are the Americans and British such good friends? - Printable Version

+- Twitist Forums (http://twitist.com)
+-- Forum: Twitter forums (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Twitter General help (/forum-6.html)
+--- Thread: How are the Americans and British such good friends? (/thread-46543.html)

Pages: 1 2

How are the Americans and British such good friends? - Regina George - 11-27-2012 06:45 AM

I know it's a strange question but politically (no OPINIONATED or in anyway insulting remarks please) how have the USA and Britain managed such a good relationship? Considering that when we (I'm British) had the 13 colonies, we just taxed you and took all your goods. Even Spain and France took your side in the revolution, and donated the Statue of Liberty. In my opinion, Britain and America have always maintained a good relationship, how and why?

- Heroin - 11-27-2012 06:54 AM

Because holding 200+ year old grudges is considered immature...

- Wild Swordfish - 11-27-2012 06:54 AM

I wouldn't say they are good friends.

- ™ʎllıq®® - 11-27-2012 06:54 AM

They appear to gaze upon us with admiration,
our nonchalant and elegant English charm.
When back in 1775 were once their friends, and we wished them no harm.
We were teaching Aesop's fables domicile a shack like structures.
When out of the smoke guns a blaze, roughens approached demanding wealth driven junctures.
Accusing us of tyranny, a despotic abuse of authority
They kicked us out, over taxes and trade routes, a new philosophical priority.

LOL, I guess culturally we have a lot in common.

- peep - 11-27-2012 06:54 AM

We always help each other at war for a start such as Afgahn and the other wars in the past. Britain is like little America really.

- Jack - 11-27-2012 06:54 AM

Culturally similar, plus the government that ruled G.B. in the 1700's is not still in power.

- Mark - 11-27-2012 06:54 AM

Because all that happened 235 years ago, and even the War of 1812 happened 200 years ago. Plus the two countries have far more in common with each other than differences.

- cedorsmulas - 11-27-2012 06:54 AM

Fighting together in two world wars and in the Middle East does tend to bring you closer.

- dot - 11-27-2012 06:54 AM

I was always told by my mother (whether it's true or not) that my family was of English descent. Then I became teenager and fell in love with English literature and music. This is my story, but I think it's true over all--our history and culture are intertwineed.

Sorry I offended someone. I just wish I knew what I said that was so horrible.

- Daniel - 11-27-2012 06:54 AM

The same reason we're close to Canada, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, and France: Never underestimate the power of cultural heritage, shared history, and parallel interests. Kind of the same idea as "blood is thicker than water".