Twitist Forums
I want to get my degree in English, but I don't want to teach. What are some other awesome career choices? - Printable Version

+- Twitist Forums (http://twitist.com)
+-- Forum: General Social Media & Marketing Forums (/forum-8.html)
+--- Forum: General Social Media questions (/forum-9.html)
+--- Thread: I want to get my degree in English, but I don't want to teach. What are some other awesome career choices? (/thread-46568.html)

I want to get my degree in English, but I don't want to teach. What are some other awesome career choices? - AmyLeah - 11-27-2012 06:46 AM

I'd like a career that pays decently well, but allows me to branch out and be creative. I'd love to mix something else with my degree like art, media, or social science. I love to work with people, too.

- ok - 11-27-2012 06:54 AM

Most English majors drive taxi cabs or flip whoppers. Consider something practical like engineering or medicine. Sorry for the bad news.

- mcse2020 - 11-27-2012 06:54 AM

The most successful English majors I knew from my college days got jobs in Human Resources (business) like corporate recruiting, training other office-type jobs, writing consultant (tutoring), and reporting (journalism). The best-paid english majors are likely technical writers for hi-tech and bio-tech companies and project managers/editors/programmers of various sections of websites like Amazon.com or Yahoo Finance, etc. It's common especially among women to hold a degree in English and climb up the corporate ladder and become VP, Director, CEO of some company, often starting from the ground-level jobs in human resources, marketing, sales, writing, copying, etc.

If creativity (meaning to keep your own creativity without somebody trying to take it, change it, ignore it) is a top priority, then it's best to start writing articles as a freelancer to gain exposure and make an impact like Penelope Trunk's blogs. Yahoo Search her and drop her a line on her blog!