Twitist Forums
What is more important - learning how to use Twitter or learning about history? - Printable Version

+- Twitist Forums (http://twitist.com)
+-- Forum: Twitter forums (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Twitter abbreviations (/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: What is more important - learning how to use Twitter or learning about history? (/thread-46756.html)

Pages: 1 2

What is more important - learning how to use Twitter or learning about history? - Bisexual liberal atheist! - 11-27-2012 06:48 AM

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/scienceandtechnology/technology/twitter/5046250/Primary-school-children-must-learn-Twitter-but-not-Victorians.htmlw

- Andy - 11-27-2012 06:57 AM

twitter however one day it will be history so everyones a winner

- robbob - 11-27-2012 06:57 AM

The review doesn't really make it mandatory that children should learn about Twitter, rather:

"Computer skills are usually not taught until secondary school but Sir Jim has advised lessons should begin earlier."

- Joe Schulz - 11-27-2012 06:57 AM

History is the single most important subject that any school can offer.

- Rubym - 11-27-2012 06:57 AM

It should not take a long time to learn to 'Tweet", but history is a long term thing. I don't see where it would be one or the other. It's like saying should somebody learn to use a computer or learn English. You can do both and it might help if some of the computer saavy types could spell and use grammar, too. Texting and tweeting are great things today for quick and instant communication, but it seems to be taking away the ability to actually write.

- Michael B - 11-27-2012 06:57 AM

We must face the possibility that the abbreviated signaller's English used for texting & tweeting, however useful in context, has a malign influence on linguistic development. The ability to choose words with appropriate connotations to express, accurately and concisely, shades of meaning and attitudes is not developed if telegram-writing is the preeminent mode of communication.

If this is true (and it probably is) then not only History but other humanities including language and literature should take priority.

Children will learn to 'tweet', only too willingly, in their own time. School exists to transmit skills and knowledge that children might not otherwise acquire.

- Gryphon - 11-27-2012 06:57 AM

Twitter is miniscule and trivial.

"Those who do not study history are condemned to repeat it."
- George Santayana

- cp_scipiom - 11-27-2012 06:57 AM

History

simply because Twitter will be replaced by something better in a year or two at the utmost (I still remember having to learn MS-DOS commands) - while learning history (and thus the quality of brain contents) will last them a lifetime

- Crazykitten677 - 11-27-2012 06:57 AM

Oh please. As of now, I haven't used Twitter but I think I would know how to use it within one hour. You can't really compare it to history. I'm personally more interested in geography so there are others who know more about history than I do but having no clue about history is very embarrassing if you ask me.

- Aura - 11-27-2012 06:57 AM

History is most important simply because you need to know your past to understand the present. Cause and effect. Plus, History repeats itself it's a cycle and if you understand it, you may be even able to predict future events with certainty.