Twitist Forums
Is it still a social belief that if you are light skinned, you are more attractive and prestigious? - Printable Version

+- Twitist Forums (http://twitist.com)
+-- Forum: General Social Media & Marketing Forums (/forum-8.html)
+--- Forum: General Social Media questions (/forum-9.html)
+--- Thread: Is it still a social belief that if you are light skinned, you are more attractive and prestigious? (/thread-47584.html)

Pages: 1 2

Is it still a social belief that if you are light skinned, you are more attractive and prestigious? - randyvous75 - 11-27-2012 06:59 AM

when I visited the philippines about 7 years ago, their was an abundance of whitening products such as bleaching soaps, whitening creams, etc...and noticed woman would literally powder their face white for that light skinned look...

- LOL - 11-27-2012 07:07 AM

In the Philippines, yes. But in the US, no.
Colonial mentality is always its reason.

- Parferio Sarajena - 11-27-2012 07:07 AM

Yes. It's a social anomoly. Bitter hatred towards white people but they all want to be one.

- Spell Chekker - 11-27-2012 07:07 AM

its fact of life. white women preferrs tan skin so they tan in beaches all day or in tanning saloons but dark women likes the white skin so they apply cremes. reason for it is vanitty thats reason why make-ups business makes lotsa money.

- allsmiles - 11-27-2012 07:07 AM

Classic example of human nature; wanting things which one does not have.

Filipinos like to have fair skin since we have brown or darker skin whereas those with fair skin like to go to the beach and sunbathe or go to tanning salons to get that tanned look.

- Oscar C - 11-27-2012 07:07 AM

yes.. but not in north america.. people go to tanning beds and pay hundreds of dollars to get that dark cinnamon-like tan.

- eLai - 11-27-2012 07:07 AM

of course not .....

- kentenooo - 11-27-2012 07:07 AM

i'm a fat old baldy,hmm well not fat,not bald and only slightly old but personally i like pretty dark filipinas,maybe lighter skin will get you further in this world but i worked my a*s off to achieve what i have,i was orphaned at a young age,only have a 7th grade education and i dare someone to say they've worked any harder than me

- Josey Wales - 11-27-2012 07:07 AM

Touchy subject, it seems. Somebody got some anger issues up there.

Some of the ladies seem to try for a lighter skin tone while the guys don't much seem to care about it. Personally, I see nothing wrong with the natural skin colors of Filipinos or Filipinas. Some have a creamy smooth texture which I find nice. But that's more about taking care of your skin than what the color tone is.

- Juan C - 11-27-2012 07:07 AM

colonial mentality and the loss of cultural identity...