Twitist Forums
Do you think facebook is becoming like a religion? - Printable Version

+- Twitist Forums (http://twitist.com)
+-- Forum: Facebook forums (/forum-14.html)
+--- Forum: Facebook Marketing (/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: Do you think facebook is becoming like a religion? (/thread-48477.html)

Do you think facebook is becoming like a religion? - B A - 12-05-2012 06:12 AM

Like if you do not belong to facebook or rarely use it people think something is wrong with you. (especially if you are under 30)

I sometimes watch people logging into their facebook in public and it is almost like they are in a trance when they get a new message or are about to post something new.

Is facebook just the beginning of a new religion of the 21st century. If you are not a believer you are socially cast aside like in the past with traditional church attendance.

- gods are imaginary - 12-05-2012 06:20 AM

Maybe an addiction for a narcissistic age of mankind

For me, I don't touch it.
Always thought the concept was lightweight.
I have email, a mobile phone a land line etc.
Face to face and phone are best, real conversations with real friends.

Posting updates about yourself makes me cringe.

- Vicky - 12-05-2012 06:20 AM

I guess that's why I'm finding myself wanting less and less to do with it.

- Қєlly - 12-05-2012 06:20 AM

Probably, but it's actually becoming like a church, where people go to worship each other, gossip about each other, and hate on each other. Which is why I'm not a member anymore.

- novangelis - 12-05-2012 06:20 AM

No, Facebook is peer to peer. On Twitter you have followers.

- Kellie - 12-05-2012 06:20 AM

no more like a cult

- Is - 12-05-2012 06:20 AM

Religion requires some kind of spiritual element.

- Jonathan Alexander - 12-05-2012 06:20 AM

Nah, it's a fad. Remember when Google first came to scene? We had Excite, Lycos Askjeeves and a whole host of others but using Google and getting onto Google became the "in" thing to do.

I don't use facebook and neither do a lot of sensible people but for most it's a convenience nothing more. They can chat, email and message people who they would not invite into their house or meet face to face.