Twitist Forums
Why Do People Put Number Signs In Front Of Words Or Phrases On Twitter? - Printable Version

+- Twitist Forums (http://twitist.com)
+-- Forum: Twitter forums (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Twitter abbreviations (/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Why Do People Put Number Signs In Front Of Words Or Phrases On Twitter? (/thread-5359.html)

Why Do People Put Number Signs In Front Of Words Or Phrases On Twitter? - Lockitdown206 - 10-08-2012 04:02 PM

Latley I've been seeing more and more of people saying things like #YouKnowYoureAGleekWhen on Twitter. Why do people do this and can some just please explain to me what this means before I flip out!!! loll

- firehop8 - 10-08-2012 04:10 PM

The hash tag (#) is a way of finding things on twitter if you Put a hash tag in front of a word then search the hash tag any one that has that hash tag on a tweet will show up. There are things you can use it for like if you want to see every tweet with a certain hash tag you can easily.

- Quantum Physics - 10-08-2012 04:10 PM

Users can group posts together by topic or type by use of hashtags – words or phrases prefixed with a "#" sign. Similarly, the "@" sign followed by a username is used for mentioning or replying to other users.[50] To repost a message from another Twitter user, and share it with one's own followers, the retweet function is symbolized by "RT" in the message.