Twitist Forums
Is it common for American pastors to say stuff like this? - Printable Version

+- Twitist Forums (http://twitist.com)
+-- Forum: Twitter forums (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Twitter General help (/forum-6.html)
+--- Thread: Is it common for American pastors to say stuff like this? (/thread-53636.html)

Pages: 1 2

Is it common for American pastors to say stuff like this? - Sarah Louise - 01-16-2013 09:28 AM

I am English. Last week I had a long conversation on twitter with a seventeen year old African American creationist who came on twitter saying 'evolutionists' are stupid and evil. That was not a great start but we twitter atheists soon realised he was really upset. Why? He had been told by his pastor that 'evolutionists' say that black people are inferior because they are evolved from apes. This pastor informed him that if evolution becomes commonly accepted in the US then black people will be regarded as animals and treated as such.

When he understood that evolutionary theory says that we all come from ape-like ancestors and in fact technically are still apes but that black and white people are exactly the same species, he was fine. He actually read some articles and watched some clips we linked about evolution and then he said 'Oh, OK, that makes sense. I didn't get that. Thanks' (That's a first for me debating with creationists)
Anyway,this made me really angry cos he was a really nice young man and open to evidence and information and this pastor had deliberately turned him against science with misinformation and inflammatory nonsense. This week I see that various pastors have announced that the school shooting which recently happened is due to the teaching of evolution and acceptance of homosexuality(rather than a mentally ill man having access to guns) and I would like to know how common it is for pastors to say such awful things. Is it just a few nutcases in the bible belt or are there loads of them all over warping kids minds with such horrible ideas?
Mark - who is that aimed at and what is it about?

- Jerry - 01-16-2013 09:38 AM

It's not highly unlikely

- melodichome679 - 01-16-2013 09:47 AM

Of course. We even have congressmen who call evolution and the Big Bang a lie from hell.
http://articles.latimes.com/2012/oct/07/nation/la-na-nn-paul-broun-evolution-hell-20121007

- Buddy - 01-16-2013 09:52 AM

There are loads of nutcases who say that; mostly in the Bible belt.

- flutter - 01-16-2013 09:54 AM

There are loads of nutcases in the world, christian and non christian.

- giganticpark570 - 01-16-2013 10:00 AM

It was probably the pastor of one of those 40,000 non-denominational Protestant churches ---- no central authority and no quality control.

You *wouldn't* hear anything like that in one of the mainstream churches.

- steepcherries830 - 01-16-2013 10:04 AM

Hatespeech disguised as friendly advice, routed in stupidity, and lacking a basic understanding of how the world really works is extremely common.

- Mightycracker190 - 01-16-2013 10:10 AM

Don't expect honesty from a Christian. They will lie, cheat and steal anything in defense of their silly made up stories.

- interested1208 - 01-16-2013 10:11 AM

Wouldn't surprise me to hear that some do...

Lying for Jesus seems to be the exception to the ten commandments they hold so dear...

You see it here all the time...

IMHO

- thunderingMercenary927 - 01-16-2013 10:20 AM

Yes, it happens all the time. I was lied to about evolution when I was 13 years old. Unlike that young man I did my own research and found out the truth. After that I began my journey to become an atheist. That was 51 years ago almost 52. Today I am an atheist and I will remain so for the rest of my life. Those of you who are creationist on this forum should think about this.