Twitist Forums
What do you think of this and what could it mean for Urban Meyer? - Printable Version

+- Twitist Forums (http://twitist.com)
+-- Forum: Twitter forums (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Twitter abbreviations (/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: What do you think of this and what could it mean for Urban Meyer? (/thread-5373.html)

Pages: 1 2

What do you think of this and what could it mean for Urban Meyer? - mjr2013 --- Tigers in 2012!! - 10-08-2012 04:16 PM

Urban Meyer grew up in Toledo, Ohio.

He has said he wants to be closer to his family.
At 46 years old, I can't believe that he is retiring.

Here are what is considered to be the top 5 candidates to hire him as coach and their distance via car nonstop away from Toledo (mapquest.com).

Florida Gators - 15 hours 53 minutes

Denver Broncos - 18 hours 37 minutes
Dallas Cowboys - 17 hours 33 minutes
Jacksonville Jaguars - 15 hours 40 minutes
Minnesota Vikings - 10 hours 54 minutes
Michigan Wolverines - 58 minutes

PLUS he has said that he thinks Denard Robinson (only a junior next year) is one of the best players in the country (SOURCE: http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/bigten/2010-09-13-denard-robinson-michigan_N.htm?csp=34sports&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed:+UsatodaycomCollegeFootball-TopStories+(Sports+-+College+Football+-+Top+Stories) 5th paragraph

AND he went to and grew up a fan of the Cincinnati Bearcats, who have ALWAYS been overshadowed by Ohio State!

Could this mean something?
Born in Toledo and moved to Ashtabula as a child

- booger - 10-08-2012 04:24 PM

Michigan wouldn't be bad. I don't think he's a pro guy.

- Frank - 10-08-2012 04:24 PM

I do not think he is going to get hired as a coach any time soon and will likely be back in two years or so when he gets the itch and he might coach the Michigan Wolverines by that time but nothing immediate, so no it doesn't mean anything just that he is taking a break from coaching don't blow it out of proportion.

- Jimi - 10-08-2012 04:24 PM

are you sure about that? I don't think Urban is from Toledo. I just checked Ashtabula, Ohio is where he was born which I believe is S.E. Ohio, I'm from the Toledo area which is N.W. Ohio. He did coach at BGSU which isn't just south of Toledo.

I know how Michigan fans say everyone is going there when they are available but that's probably not going to happen, sorry.

- Sam - 10-08-2012 04:24 PM

I'll be honest. I hope it does mean what you think it means. But if it does, it came out of nowhere. I heard a couple people on y!a say it was a good fit but I hadn't heard anything from any major news sites.

Also, keep in mind that he is staying for the Gators bowl game. Brandon says Rich Rod won't be fired until after the bowl game (well he didn't say fired, but come on).

@Better than most- How is that unemployment rate in that incinerator known as Florida treating you?

- Jeremy - 10-08-2012 04:24 PM

I think that it would be a good fit

- Ben Linus - 10-08-2012 04:24 PM

Stating driving times to different coaching jobs is interesting but is probably not very relevant in Meyer's case...a guy like Urban Meyer isn't driving much more than an hour anywhere - he's flying everywhere because he can afford plane tickets (or a timeshare on a private jet if Florida didn't provide him with a jet to use etc.,).

I doubt he's Michigan's next coach (I think Florida might be a little pissed at his "retirement") but it wouldn't surprise me if A) the Florida football program gets in trouble with the NCAA in the next year and we find out later that Meyer was just abandoning a sinking ship and B) he coaches somewhere else in college in the next few years. He's too young to want to retire from coaching IMO.

- Stanley Ash - 10-08-2012 04:24 PM

It means he does not want to face Auburn.

- Better Than Most - 10-08-2012 04:24 PM

Urban Meyer currently lives in Alachua County, Florida where the weather is nice and the taxes are low. Urban Meyer is not a moron nor is among the least intelligent people in the world. Therefore there is absolutely no chance that he will live or coach anywhere near a garbage dump like Michigan at any point in the next several years.

Urb busted his butt his entire adult life to escape mudholes like Toledo and Ashtabula. Why in the heck would he go back now? He isn't a loser.

And besides that his daughter is in school at Gerogia Tech. He probably isn't moving too far away from Atlanta until she's out of school.

He'll coach again at some point but the only dump job he might take is Notre Dame after Brian Kelly fails miserably.

- zealousfurniture976 - 10-08-2012 04:24 PM

It doesn't mean anything.He is tired of coaching.