Twitist Forums
Why can't educated people use words like "your" and "too" correctly? - Printable Version

+- Twitist Forums (http://twitist.com)
+-- Forum: General Social Media & Marketing Forums (/forum-8.html)
+--- Forum: General Social Media questions (/forum-9.html)
+--- Thread: Why can't educated people use words like "your" and "too" correctly? (/thread-56929.html)

Pages: 1 2

Why can't educated people use words like "your" and "too" correctly? - Moi! - 01-23-2013 10:14 AM

I'm talking about university educated people who still write things like "hope your okay", "it was good too see you" on facebook. How can you get through higher education and not know how to write...??

I have friends who don't have any problems using "too # to", they're # their, "your # you're", etc in the correct context even though English is their second, third, fourth language!!! I think it's an absolute embarrassment that native Brits and Americans are unable to speak their own language properly.
Well, maybe if you are happy with a very very mediocre job, but if you want to get anywhere professionally then you have to be able to spell and use correct grammar. As for friends, if they are illiterate too then I suppose it doesn't matter. Haha. I know the difference between Beyonce and Rihanna but to be honest I don't think anyone I know would care if I didn't, as they have more important things to occupy their time with.
Oh go on then Anni.................. don't just say you can, do it!!!
Most people with a 3 digit IQ...? So you consider 100 quite high, do you?

- James - 01-23-2013 10:22 AM

It's an honest mistake. Everyone does not understand proper grammar.

- melodicpear642 - 01-23-2013 10:22 AM

My pet hate is people who confuse less, as in less of something, and fewer as in fewer of a number of things.

- cirque de lune - 01-23-2013 10:22 AM

Why should they have to do better when they can get through life that way? Most people do the minimum it takes to get through school and keep a job. If correct spelling doesn't impress their friends, they don't have any use for it.

But confuse Rihanna for Beyonce, and they'll be sure to call you an idiot.

- Mac - 01-23-2013 10:22 AM

It's not fair to lump all high education institutions together. I find it impossible to compare a Havard education with an education at some unknown college.

- David Renn - 01-23-2013 10:22 AM

I also find these things annoying and think that partly it is due to the reliance on spell-checking these days. This means that people can type quickly and assume that the computer will pick up any errors, but they are much easier to see if you are writing slowly with a pen.

Maybe they are just not as bright as what you is.

- LS - 01-23-2013 10:22 AM

Differences in schooling. Not all educational avenues are equal in their ability to teach basic grammatical principles. Using certain words becomes a habit, so if one isn't taught correctly or isn't given the opportunity to have these words correctly integrated into their language, then the habit that will develop will be wrong and it will be hard to fix.

- Delon - 01-23-2013 10:22 AM

I guess in speech, they're being really silly. With people who are typing slowly, they're being really silly. But when you are using social networks to chat fast, I often disregard my grammar sense and type nonsense that can get the message through...I guess it's just to get a message through faster...

- skinnypassenger349 - 01-23-2013 10:22 AM

Sometimes it is laziness, but it is strange when I see one of my foreign friends from Thailand speaking better English on Facebook than some of my friends from University/college, but since you get marks knocked off assignments for grammar/spelling mistakes I would have thought (and hoped) that they would make an effort.

- No Name - 01-23-2013 10:22 AM

I'm fifteen and I use the words correctly.
Your- ownership
You're- You are
Their- people/ownership
There- "over there"
They're- they are.

It annoys me so much when I see people using then wrong.
I think it's because people can't be bothered anymore.