Twitist Forums
10,000 Catholics 'de-baptise' themselves due to Pope's comments- thoughts on this? - Printable Version

+- Twitist Forums (http://twitist.com)
+-- Forum: Twitter forums (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Twitter General help (/forum-6.html)
+--- Thread: 10,000 Catholics 'de-baptise' themselves due to Pope's comments- thoughts on this? (/thread-58008.html)

Pages: 1 2

10,000 Catholics 'de-baptise' themselves due to Pope's comments- thoughts on this? - Moon Shadow - 01-27-2013 08:01 AM

In the Netherlands, 10,000 people have 'de-baptised' themselves via a website, because they are against the Pope's comments about gay marriage.

you can't actually 'de-baptise' yourself, but the founder says that it's a way of catholics expressing their anger with the pope.

Thoughts and opinions?
Are the Vatican becoming more remote from their worshippers?
Are these Catholics bad Christians?
Is the church losing the respect of it's members?
What is the general opinion of the pope?
Is the pope, being a strict man, a good thing for the church (standing up for it's opinions, whether they are popular or not) or an out-of-touch prejudiced bully that's damaging the church's reputation further?
Is Catholicism dying a slow death?

- scrawnyflower545 - 01-27-2013 08:09 AM

ONLY 10,000...

- Lionel1020 - 01-27-2013 08:09 AM

All religion is dying a slow death

- JuPe - 01-27-2013 08:09 AM

The Roman Catholic church is an evil entity, these people are just recognising that.
You inappropriately call the Roman church 'the church' please be more respectful to other more noble organisations, you bigoted fool

- Catholic - 01-27-2013 08:09 AM

10,000 out of 1.1 Billion

Wow such an huge loss

Most of the leaves are Homosexual Catholics anyway so we don't really care

- Sanctus Raphael - 01-27-2013 08:09 AM

They can try all they like. Baptism leaves an indelible imprint on their soul forever according to the Church. So there is nothing they can do about it

- pmaxu - 01-27-2013 08:09 AM

Assuming that these are the only people that made a large stink about it, that means that roughly

.00000084% of the Catholics in the world took enough offense from the church's stance on gay marriage to react. I don't think their reaction means anything. And since with roughly 1.2 Billion followers, you can't be that out of touch with what your followers believe. Plus, I don't think there's anything that indicates that the church is suffering a slow death, they've increased their numbers almost 12% in the last ten years, which is slightly above what population growth is.

I'm not defending the church, but while this show of opinion might make those members feel good, I don't think it means anything.

- username_hidden - 01-27-2013 08:09 AM

The first thing that comes to mind is the part of John chapter 6, where most of Jesus disciples abandoned him because they couldn't accept his teachings.

The Pope has a duty, as the chief shepherd of Christ's flock, to proclaim the fullness of the truth as it has beern handed down through every generation of the church. He has no authority to change that truth when it proves unpopular. If people do not like what they hear, they are free to go elsewhere, but they will be doing so at the peril of their own souls.

- Tolstoyevsky - 01-27-2013 08:09 AM

John 6:66 Too bad about the ones that left Jesus. The ones that stayed changed the world.

- Wolfeblayde - 01-27-2013 08:09 AM

There will always be cafeteria Catholics who pick and choose the parts of the Church's teachings that they like or want to obey. They are Catholics in name only because they are not in full communion with the Church.

Faithful Catholics don't have to agree with the Pope, but they *do* have to obey. In this case, that means we cannot support gay marriage because it goes against the Church's teachings. We are expected to treat gay people with respect, but we cannot agree with practices that go against the Bible and the Church.

The current Pope is in the unenviable position of following one of the most beloved pontiffs of all time. At first, he seemed a little distant and overly strict, but I think that people are warming up to him. He has a brilliant mind and is doing a good job of dealing with all the problems currently plaguing the Church.

And finally, I don't think that Catholicism is in any danger of dying out any time soon. There will always be anti-Catholic bigots and haters, but Jesus Himself said that the gates of Hell would never prevail against His Church. He is her Lord and her Defender, and He takes a dim view of those who attack her.

Something that the aforementioned bigots might want to consider before they spew their hatred of Catholicism and Catholics.