Twitist Forums
Parents: Do you think television is an educational tool, purely for entertainment, or a healthy mix of both? - Printable Version

+- Twitist Forums (http://twitist.com)
+-- Forum: General Social Media & Marketing Forums (/forum-8.html)
+--- Forum: General Social Media questions (/forum-9.html)
+--- Thread: Parents: Do you think television is an educational tool, purely for entertainment, or a healthy mix of both? (/thread-60760.html)

Pages: 1 2

Parents: Do you think television is an educational tool, purely for entertainment, or a healthy mix of both? - G8RMommy - 02-13-2013 07:15 PM

What about radio, books, the internet, and social media?.

Do any of them have to be all or nothing?

BQ: if you can guess my name, you win. Something. I'm not sure what yet, I haven't decided.

- AyeCee - 02-13-2013 07:23 PM

I use the t.v. as an eduacational tool. I have a 16 month old son and he very much enjoys the "Baby Einstein" DVD's. They are extremely educational! He watches one DVD everyday after breakfast and he's learned a great deal from them. However, that's the only "t.v." time I allow. A lot of regular programming is garbage; for lack of a better term!

- *EMMA LAURAS*MOMMA - 02-13-2013 07:23 PM

for children?
It is entertainment, but it can be a learning tool as well.

- mama b - 02-13-2013 07:23 PM

I think it totally depends on what's playing. Some programs are educational, but most are purely for entertainment, I think.

- mommy of 5 - 02-13-2013 07:23 PM

They can be educational tools if you allow them to be. My kids love shows like swamp brothers, shows on Animal Plant, Pawn Stars, etc. All of them have an educational undertone to them.

I even think social media can be both. Just watch social sites can be a real education on how people can be. My daughter has watched some of the statuses posted on FB and she's like "mom why would someone put THAT out there for the world to know"

BQ: I'll bet your name is Mommy to someone.

- mommy of 5 - 02-13-2013 07:23 PM

I think those things can certainly be for entertainment. I do allow my 22 month old to watch some educational shows every once in awhile. I think it can be a healthy mix of both depending on what someone is watching/listening too.

BQ: Ashley? I'm trying to think of a pretty common name.lol

- Jar Bear - 02-13-2013 07:23 PM

It's education and entertainment. My son watches an hour a day of whatever I pick from DVD's. He loves Underwater Adventures.

BQ: Alexandra?

- desmeran - 02-13-2013 07:23 PM

amanda? got a bad memory but that's what i'm thinking. probably mixing you up with someone else.

it's a tool. all of them are.

for us, the tv is a wii platform, so i'd call that less-than-educational.

- MasonMansMama - 02-13-2013 07:23 PM

I think it depends on what you are watching, and letting your kids watch. For Mason.... I think it's a mix. We usually only put it on shows we feel have some educational value, however he likes some fun shows and there is no harm in that (in my opinion). All in all, I think TV "can be" educational if you find the right programs, but mostly it is just for entertainment. I think the same can be said for all other media outlets as well.

- parent - 02-13-2013 07:23 PM

Why Amanda, of course everything we see and read on all of these things is educational. One way or another.