Twitist Forums
How to concentrate on Books when you deal with Social Anxiety/Stress.? - Printable Version

+- Twitist Forums (http://twitist.com)
+-- Forum: General Social Media & Marketing Forums (/forum-8.html)
+--- Forum: General Social Media questions (/forum-9.html)
+--- Thread: How to concentrate on Books when you deal with Social Anxiety/Stress.? (/thread-61392.html)

How to concentrate on Books when you deal with Social Anxiety/Stress.? - Brittany - 02-15-2013 11:29 PM

I have never been a natural bookworm but before I struggle with s.anxiety (which I might add that I'm getting help for currently) I did enjoy reading every now and then, but here lately because my s.anxiety has became so frustrating I find it hard to concentrate sometimes on books and I can't even finish the ones I was really excited about in the beginning after buying them, which immensely sucks. There are soo many subjects that I'm interested in (I actually have a long list written down)......but there's even more books lying around in my room that have been collecting dust over the years. As of now when I see certain subjects I'm interested in on online stores I may get excited but I normally don't check out the details of the book because i simply know that if I buy it I'll just use it as a coaster. I only seem to have this problem with books in general, but I can easily read through and finish magazines. Whether the book is large, medium or perhaps a 200 page novel, I struggle to get to the last page. Before I get to the second chapter I find myself becoming antsy in my chair, wandering off into some fantasy land, or purposely allowing myself to be amused by little things going on around me. And once I figure out that its been weeks before I could come close to finishing a average size book I become frustrated and kind of .........well toss it somewhere in my room. Has anyone ever been in the same situation and could possibly offer tips ? I really dislike feeling like an uneducated air-breather (though technically i'm not) at times and mainly wish I could focus more and find motivation to read more. That feeling of wanting to absorb knowledge kind of eats away at me a bit at times and often I just don't know what to do about it. (ugh)

- Jasmine De Santos - 02-15-2013 11:37 PM

Try chewing gum and reading. Maybe you have ADD and/or ADHD. Maybe you focus better with pictures. You could read a page or two and draw a picture to go with it and look at it as you read. Or even a picture of what you think is going to happen. Smile It might grasp your attention, even little stick figures. Big Grin Hope this helps!

- Lynn - 02-15-2013 11:37 PM

it should be easier to watch TV documentary programs