Twitist Forums
If I am a freelancer, can I work in the UK legally? - Printable Version

+- Twitist Forums (http://twitist.com)
+-- Forum: General Social Media & Marketing Forums (/forum-8.html)
+--- Forum: General Social Media questions (/forum-9.html)
+--- Thread: If I am a freelancer, can I work in the UK legally? (/thread-63392.html)

If I am a freelancer, can I work in the UK legally? - Gatesy - 02-26-2013 03:54 PM

I am a successful freelance social media manager who currently lives in the US. I want to move to the UK and continue working freelance for current and new clients. While I would still be on a "visitor" visa technically, would my freelance work be considered "illegal" since as a visitor you're "not allowed to job hunt/acquire income"?

- preston - 02-26-2013 04:02 PM

Yea probobley.

- shOrtie - 02-26-2013 04:02 PM

You cannot work in the UK on a tourist visa. Even if you're freelance. If you want to work here, you have to have a visa that allows it. If I was you I wouldn't risk it, because should you be caught you'll be deported and not allowed back for several years.

- Pigeon Pie - 02-26-2013 04:02 PM

You have to apply for a work VISA. You can not work on a tourist or visitor VISA.

- Laine - 02-26-2013 04:02 PM

Visitor visas= Visit only.
No, you cannot.

- ibu guru - 02-26-2013 04:02 PM

"Not allowed to job hunt/acquire income" means exactly that. Grounds for deportation and permanent bar to reentry, not to mention the tax problems (felonies). Self-employed have no employer to apply for any employment visa, and without a proper employment visa, you cannot legally work. With employment visa, you can ONLY work for the employer which applied for your visa.

Don't even think about it.

- Rakesh - 02-26-2013 04:02 PM

yep.