Twitist Forums
Can the police go through my facebook messages? - Printable Version

+- Twitist Forums (http://twitist.com)
+-- Forum: Facebook forums (/forum-14.html)
+--- Forum: General facebook and life forums (/forum-25.html)
+--- Thread: Can the police go through my facebook messages? (/thread-67971.html)

Pages: 1 2

Can the police go through my facebook messages? - deafeningcake997 - 04-16-2013 03:27 AM

so my dad was trying to scare me and said he went through my messages and reported it to the police which is total bull! but just out of curiosity can the police go through my facebook messages and text messages without my permission and my password.

- Alex - 04-16-2013 03:35 AM

if they have a warrant, sure. All really easy to do. they just need an Ip and a force hack for passwords. eh... if they wanted to they would. So... what do you have to hide?

- Andrew - 04-16-2013 03:35 AM

As of now, yes they can if they feel the need to. They would just request Facebook to supply them with the message.

- john k - 04-16-2013 03:35 AM

Yep, dont even need a warrant anymore.

- Christopher - 04-16-2013 03:35 AM

The police usually do not have the power to do this. Higher powers like the FBI on the other hand could hack into your accounts, but only if it is serious. I am quite sure you will not be getting hacked anytime soon unless you start breaking some major laws and the FBI or another higher power has to get involved.

Simply stay safe and don't do anything insanely stupid and you should be fine!

- Uncle Duke - 04-16-2013 03:35 AM

if you boast about committing a crime and one of your facebook "friends" reports it to the police, the can access your page via them. watch what you post, watch who you "friend". this happens a lot these days.

- kowalski - 04-16-2013 03:35 AM

Yep, they can do what ever they want if asked to thanks to all the cry baby freedom haters

- Vijayan S - 04-16-2013 03:35 AM

Depends upon the report your dad has planned. Since your dad has just scared, tell him that you are not posting any unwanted messages or things. Remember that crime police has all powers to do with your account.

- girly - 04-16-2013 03:35 AM

YES they can!

- shay - 04-16-2013 03:35 AM

Yes they can. All they need is a IP address and your doomed. (where most viruses attacks come from) but this is something the FBI would do unless the police have a warrant if they're checking around for a death of someone...(murder, suicide,ect.)