Twitist Forums
My Facebook account has been compromised. Details below. PLEASE HELP ASAP!? - Printable Version

+- Twitist Forums (http://twitist.com)
+-- Forum: Facebook forums (/forum-14.html)
+--- Forum: Facebook notifications (/forum-24.html)
+--- Thread: My Facebook account has been compromised. Details below. PLEASE HELP ASAP!? (/thread-70654.html)

My Facebook account has been compromised. Details below. PLEASE HELP ASAP!? - Nick - 05-03-2013 08:38 PM

Someone tried to access my Facebook account recently, and I do not recognize who it is. I have my Facebook account protected with the Security Code Generator, and have text messages sent to my phone with a randomly generated code (of numbers) that I - or anyone who tries to log into my account, must use to be allowed access. Here are some of the details, to help explain:

I was at my house with my friends earlier in the evening, waiting to go out for the night. I was the last person to leave my house, because I left my cigarettes inside and had to go get them; all of the doors were locked when I left (and came back). I'm not positive of the *exact* time that we all left my house, but it was 100% between the times of 12:05 AM and 12:13 AM (I know this based on text messages I was sending before we all went out). Just as I was pulling into my destination, I received a text message from the Code Generator at 12:28 AM that said, "Please use this code ###### instead of your password to log in to Facebook for Android". That is a normal text message from the Code Generator minus three things: (1) I was not attempting to get into my Facebook while driving, (2) I do not have an Android phone, nor have I ever.

When I got home, I logged into Facebook with my laptop and clicked the notification that told me someone had recently tried to log into my account. I copied the IP address down and looked at the next page in the sequence that showed me a location where this person tried to go into my account. I looked at the map that Facebook showed me and also did a map search on a Bing maps tab that I opened, but was unable to identify who the person was based on the location that I was given from Bing.

I then decided to look up the IP address using two different basic IP look-up sites and was thrown for a loop-hole when I found out that the person who tried to access my account had the same IP address as me. Trying not to scream, I then went to Bing maps (for consistency) and entered the coordinates that I retrieved from the look-up sites and discovered:
(1) The location given to me by the look-up websites [Point A], both of which were the same, is 7.3 miles off from my actual home address [Point B].
(2) Point A is 13.2 miles from the place where Facebook told me my account could have been compromised [Point C].
(3) Point B is 13.8 miles from Point C.

I understand that the "actual" physical locations of IP addresses are not always completely accurate; however, none of this information is adding up logically in my head whatsoever. I am positive that I was not on Facebook at the time I received the text message from the Code Generator AND I do not have an Android, nor have I ever. I looked to see my recent account sessions to verify that my Facebook account recognized me being on an iOS platform (my iPhone).

HELP!

- twt - 05-03-2013 08:51 PM

change email and keep it private, improve security