Twitist Forums
Why are strikes portrayed negatively by SA media ? - Printable Version

+- Twitist Forums (http://twitist.com)
+-- Forum: General Social Media & Marketing Forums (/forum-8.html)
+--- Forum: General Social Media questions (/forum-9.html)
+--- Thread: Why are strikes portrayed negatively by SA media ? (/thread-70821.html)

Pages: 1 2

Why are strikes portrayed negatively by SA media ? - Ayiza - 05-04-2013 09:13 AM

What wrong with social activism.
This country was liberated by social activism.
The media is tring to kill this SA spirit.
Now we will be reduced to a country that complains and never does anything.
If we must block the doors at PicknPay because the food prices are riduculous then we must do it.

- A P - 05-04-2013 09:22 AM

Huh....now Ayiza what kind of question is this?? Strikes in SA are portrayed negatively ...maybe because they ARE that way. If you don't think stone throwing, violence, damaging someone else's property, use threat etc is NEGATIVE, then I don't know what is!

Maybe you(people in SA) need more exposure to another way of life to truly compare differences and to see a more peaceful wy of demonstrating your frustrations etc. For example, the protesting and marches that take place in Sweden and Denmark are amazingly peaceful more than 80% of the time. NO threats are used. just offering their suggestions in a firm yet conciliatory way. No carrying of weapons, chairs, bricks, whatever. And somehow they get the best results. Viola!

- Fabulous - 05-04-2013 09:33 AM

Sensationalism... Sensationalism and even more sensationalism.

They want a reaction from the listeners (or readers, or viewers). The fact that a bunch of people have signed a petition because they are not happy about something is hardly a newsworthy event.

But if a bunch of (TuT for example) students (who are not even members of leadership) throw stuff around and casually threaten to vandalise property at the institution, They (the media) would rather record that than say what the memorandam is actually saying (and I dobt you will find the word "vandalism" in those documents)

U know when Julius said "We will kill for Zuma," I doubt he meant that, but the media just had to create a big HOO HAA about it.

- The Real Midnite - 05-04-2013 09:39 AM

ROFL! You are kidding me, right? Are you really soft-headed enough to think that the ANC are going to simply accept the people of South Africa using their own "liberation" tactics to expose their ineptitude? Like the Nats before them, the ANC are reaping what they've sown, and like the Nats before them, they are going to use their SABC blowhorn to try and paint these actions in a negative light.

South Africa wasn't "liberated" by social activism; all it did was facilitate a regime change. And the fact that the ANC is still in power is proof enough that we are "a country that complains and never does anything".

- Nathan27 - 05-04-2013 09:49 AM

Strikes in general are a good thing. I'm glad they didn't settle for anything less. Middle management earns 30k + and some of those workers under 3k a month. There really should be a balance between low and middle income.

Well Done.

- The Ram - 05-04-2013 09:59 AM

Strikes are evil! They are counterproductive, violent and horribly timed. In South Africa, ppl are striking for absolutely unreasonable wages. We are in a recession! How can demand such massive wage increases?! We are all struggling, why would those ppl compromise the business, the workers and the state by striking - and why must they be so violent in there 'activism'?! That's why I would go as far as to say trade unions should be banned...especially COSATU and the SACP. They don't benefit South Africa, all they do is demand demand demand! For instance, COSATU demanded the Reserve Bank drop the interest rates, to help the poor pay their loans. But what the foolish leadership of the trade union doesn't realise is that by dropping the interest rates too drastically, investors will not invest in South Africa. So we inevitably lose out on countless job opportunities.
That is why striking can have an extended and far-reaching impact on the lives of millions, not just a few dancing and shouting in the streets

- Sprinkly - 05-04-2013 10:05 AM

Ayiza, have you ever been caught in one of these strikes? Some of the people (not all) Just succumb to a mob mentality using the strike as an excuse to break things, threaten people and generally behave badly. The media just portrays what is happening ... what do you want them to do ignore what the strikers are doing? Ignore that people are being threatened with bodily harm? Or perhaps even applaud the fact that the strikers are behaving badly? There are more effective ways to protest.

It is not the media that is being negative or "killing the SA spirit" it is the selfish individual strikers who are behaving badly who throw the focus off the cause and onto their behaviour.

- me - 05-04-2013 10:14 AM

Because the ANC was never pro union. It was just for Xhosa and Zulu to have more rights. They got what they wanted and began taking rights away from Whites, Asians and Coloureds. Now ANC is taking rights away from Xhosa.

- Jyoti M - 05-04-2013 10:25 AM

Nothing is wrong with social activism, of course. However, there is a limit. Strikers usually go to far in their demonstrations and strikes often result in violence. I am South African (Durban) and have myself observed the irrational frequency of these strikes - teachers, doctors, bus workers and other government employees have all striked within this year. In 2007, the public education system was stalled for about a month and a half due to a teachers strike. It leads others to wonder if these people are concerned about exploitation of themselves and their rights or simply the weight of their wallets. The strikes also have negative effects on South African's economy.

- Tan - 05-04-2013 10:34 AM

Everything about strikes is wrong! How does it in any way benefit the country?? People miss work ,its bad for the economy and i dont blame the media at all for what they do! Striking should only be carried out if necceassary not like these days where if people arent happy with the amount of sugar they get in their tea, " oh well lets strike now".

Also how is striking SA spirit? Its a barbaric way of behaving. There are alot of other ways to resolve the wrong things that supermarkets are doing to the public. The government should do something about it and enforce rules or something so people shouldn't have to strike.