Twitist Forums
What sort of "strong independent woman" is emotionally devastated by rude comments and images in magazines? - Printable Version

+- Twitist Forums (http://twitist.com)
+-- Forum: General Social Media & Marketing Forums (/forum-8.html)
+--- Forum: General Social Media questions (/forum-9.html)
+--- Thread: What sort of "strong independent woman" is emotionally devastated by rude comments and images in magazines? (/thread-73055.html)

Pages: 1 2

What sort of "strong independent woman" is emotionally devastated by rude comments and images in magazines? - Erraticdust589 - 05-12-2013 04:52 AM

Maybe "strong" and "independent" mean different things to feminists but it seems to me someone so strong and independent would just view much of the garbage in the media as stupid and as quite irrelevant to their lives and the opinions of rude insulting men as unimportant since they would never wish to be with such a man anyway.

Why are "strong independent women" always complaining about social pressure, the media, and so on, always seeing themselves as victims?

- Mabel B - 05-12-2013 05:06 AM

hahaha! I LIKE it!

- umanouski - 05-12-2013 05:12 AM

Those women are posers, they wanna be something they are not. BTW to all who disagree, you are not strong by complaining, your strong by letting it roll of your shoulders and dealing with it without whining.

- Violentlaborer614 - 05-12-2013 05:27 AM

Well, any woman who actually says out loud that they're a "strong, independant woman", are usually the complete opposite of that. Which is why those same women get emotionally devastated by rude comments and images in magazines.

- plant - 05-12-2013 05:37 AM

Here you go again, JD. Sidestepping what was just written to you.

The images of women in the major men's magazines is reflective of what men buy: what men are interested in.

These magazines show very thin women.

If most men were attracted to larger women, those are the sorts of models you'd see in major men's magazines, because men would be buying up those images more than images of skinny women.

I don't give a rat's behind what's in the magazines: I don't buy either mainstream men's or women's magazines. What I'm saying is that the ATTITUDES most men have, of being intolerant, critical, and harshly judgmental of larger women, is evidenced by the fact that only skinny women are in the men's magazines.

Duh.

- Cosmic Catastrophe - 05-12-2013 05:45 AM

Only a fool thinks that they are not influenced by the media. Everyone is influenced whether they know it or not. The only way not to be is not to be exposed to it, and who, in this day and age, can say they are never exposed to any form of media whatsoever?

Edit: and, I think to say people are "emotionally devastated" is a bit strong. Being overly dramatic doesn't prove the point you're trying to make. If you doubt people are influenced by the media, check out Bandura's studies...they are interesting. Not only are attitudes influenced, but behavior as well. It is pretty powerful stuff. I think sometimes people aren't always aware of how powerful media messages can be, and how they can influence even on a subconscious level.

- Robert - 05-12-2013 05:48 AM

most seems to fall into a category of can't be bothered dressing to the nines, make up. they seem to dress rough and dikey. and when they burn their bra i wished the'd brought the bras from home and not take it off their bodies in public.i prefer my ladies to be feminine and purr not growl.

- Rio Madeira - 05-12-2013 05:57 AM

Emotionally devastated? We're just annoyed with it.

- Benino - 05-12-2013 06:10 AM

One that either lies or doesn't know herself very well.

Perhaps it is a core belief of feminism that insecurity and fragility can go alongside strength and independence.

- Oot n Aboot - 05-12-2013 06:16 AM

Even someone who is self sufficient can fall into weakness occasionally and when they are, they are more vulnerable than before. Also, everyone has their breaking point and sometimes something little can be the straw that broke the camels back.

Instead of criticizing these people for being weak and having trouble with something, open your heart and mind to them instead of putting them down even more and mocking their negative feelings.