Twitist Forums
Difference between Indie and Hipster...? - Printable Version

+- Twitist Forums (http://twitist.com)
+-- Forum: Twitter forums (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Twitter Trends (/forum-7.html)
+--- Thread: Difference between Indie and Hipster...? (/thread-7665.html)

Difference between Indie and Hipster...? - J. A. - 10-12-2012 08:53 PM

Recently I've been hearing the word "hipster" a lot in pop culture. I'm not sure if I am a hipster or not.

Many people call me "indie" or "artsy". I am a 17-year-old male, I wear polo shirts and jeans (or slacks), although I'd be fine with whatever. I dislike stores like Abercrombie, and I don't fall for commercial trends easily. I am very into social media, and use facebook, twitter, blogging, etc. to my advantage. I enjoy coffee shops (they seem to be affiliated with hipsters) and find technology interesting, although I have no need for new gadgets on a regular basis. I listen to a lot of jazz and "indie rock", and I also love The Beatles and Coldplay. I care a lot about academics, and am respected in my school as a leader, but I don't hang with the cool kids. As far as social cliques go, I fall somewhere between the theatre/artsy kids and the nerds/geeks, although I have several friends who are very into "being cool", but I don't hang out with them much in school because that's all they care about. I have no beard or goatee, and don't plan on getting one. I'm pretty liberal, find big cities attractive, enjoy the arts and am a bit of an audiophile. I'm obsessed with environmental protection, civil rights and individual freedoms, which I am often made fun of at school (my friends joke around by calling me a communist redneck, because I'm very liberal about most things but I'm also obsessed with the Bill of Rights and our CONSTITUTION!!!!). I would consider myself anti-establishment in philosophy, but I rarely rebel against how things are. I don't have a great desire for lots of money or wealth, but I have a hard time parting with cash as well. I don't do drugs, and think they're stupid, although I do respect the creative need of, for instance, various 1960's artists in the psychedelic era, to take some mind-expanding substances.

So, what am I? Am I a hipster? If I am, is it a bad thing? If I am not, what am I? I usually don't worry about things like this, but I just want to make sure that I am not a hipster.

Also, what is the difference between indie and hipster? How about alternative and indie? I don't get all these terms.

- Indie Siren - 10-12-2012 09:01 PM

A hipster is similar to a scene kid. I like to think its justa nother word for scene.

Indie is just 'not mainstream' or not typical.
so if anything. youd be indie

- candi b - 10-12-2012 09:01 PM

who cares. caring so much makes you sound like a wanna-be-somebody. you are what you are, you like what you like. fin.