Twitist Forums
If you had invested your social security money in the stock market 40 years ago, how would you be doing today? - Printable Version

+- Twitist Forums (http://twitist.com)
+-- Forum: General Social Media & Marketing Forums (/forum-8.html)
+--- Forum: Social Marketing (/forum-10.html)
+--- Thread: If you had invested your social security money in the stock market 40 years ago, how would you be doing today? (/thread-7992.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

If you had invested your social security money in the stock market 40 years ago, how would you be doing today? - karl_popper_fan - 10-13-2012 02:51 AM

If you had a diversified stock portfolio, how would you be doing compared to someone who had let the government watch their SS $?

- Ben - 10-13-2012 02:59 AM

Better.

SS is failing...it is just a matter of time.

- www.scapegoatz.com - 10-13-2012 02:59 AM

You would have about a 320% return on your money.

- TG - 10-13-2012 02:59 AM

Do you know the answer? Because that's a lot of math...it also depends on many factors such as contribution amounts, company match, what you invested in (I'm assuming you would base it on the S&P) etc....

You would probably be better off had you invested yourself, how much better is a matter of opinion

- Baby on Board - 10-13-2012 02:59 AM

Well, I wasn't alive 40 years ago, but I'm pretty sure I'd be doing well. Even with the way the stocks have been going the past week mine are still on the rise. So I'm pretty sure I'll be doing good when the time comes for me to retire.

- Gentlemenrainstorm985 - 10-13-2012 02:59 AM

Depends on the company.

If you had become a millionaire by investing in IBM, you might have been excited during the dot.com boom and lost everything on a bad company, which most of them were.

- the_libertyman - 10-13-2012 02:59 AM

Considering that THREE YEARS AGO, John McCain introduced a bill that warned and predicted IN AMAZING ACCURACY the Fannie Mae Freddie Mac debacle...

I would be RICH and would have started shifting my investments out 3 years ago.

I have lots of money STILL in the market and I'm sleeping just fine.... I know what I'm doing with my money. That's why I'm a conservative.

- Darwin - 10-13-2012 02:59 AM

Assuming I had cashed in my stock and bought an income for life, I would have done worse than my SS.

- squaremask213 - 10-13-2012 02:59 AM

Ummm... do you watch the news?

Stocks have taken a crap...you'd be broke as a joke.

I have a family member who has lived off her stocks for 10 years... she shops at the Dollar General now.

Yeah... that would have been a great move.

- livelythrill319 - 10-13-2012 02:59 AM

I'd be pooping my pants.