Twitist Forums
Does putting a hashtag in a tweet (on Twitter) multiple times help it trend? - Printable Version

+- Twitist Forums (http://twitist.com)
+-- Forum: Twitter forums (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Twitter Hashtag (/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Does putting a hashtag in a tweet (on Twitter) multiple times help it trend? (/thread-893.html)

Does putting a hashtag in a tweet (on Twitter) multiple times help it trend? - Michan - 09-30-2012 04:51 PM

Hey, so I'm trying to help trending #PrayForLewisMighty on Twitter.
He's a 7 year old boy who's lost his fight against cancer. He's said all his goodbyes, and now he wants to trend on Twitter

So, since other people usually do it, I did over 70 tweets saying " #PrayForLewisMighty #PrayForLewisMighty #PrayForLewisMighty #PrayForLewisMighty #PrayForLewisMighty #PrayForLewisMighty", but now people are saying this will make it NOT trend since it counts as spam.
Is this true?

I know I probably look like an idiot but honestly, this little boy's last wish is more important than not looking silly on Twitter.

Thanks.
I hit the tweet limit. Still might be helpful for the future though.

- eagerlinen966 - 09-30-2012 04:59 PM

It doesn't count. If the same hashtag is used in the same tweet more than once, it will only count once. It only makes you look ridiculous. Personally, if I see someone going overboard like you did, I unfollow them. I do hope noone has reported you for spam...

- Tim - 09-30-2012 04:59 PM

Twitter doesnt count the number of hashtags in a tweet - it counts the number of tweets with that hashtag in. Do you realise that putting a hashtag in a tweet as many times as you did, is gonna mean someone will have almost certainly reported the tweet (and therefore the hashtag) as spam?? The reason why #prayforlewismighty didn't trend is because someone reported it as spam!! So you kind of had the opposite effect - instead of getting it trending, it will never trend, because twitter thinks its spam.