Twitist Forums
Why does McCain thinks putting Social Security into the stock market is a good idea? - Printable Version

+- Twitist Forums (http://twitist.com)
+-- Forum: General Social Media & Marketing Forums (/forum-8.html)
+--- Forum: Social Marketing (/forum-10.html)
+--- Thread: Why does McCain thinks putting Social Security into the stock market is a good idea? (/thread-9332.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

Why does McCain thinks putting Social Security into the stock market is a good idea? - Ozymandias - 10-14-2012 02:44 AM

I'm sure there's something I'm missing, but I thought the reason the US government even started social security was because of the Great Depression. Which was caused by a huge stock market crash. Isn't social security supposed to be a social safety net to PROTECT us from market fluctuation?

- s.wabbit - 10-14-2012 02:52 AM

Cuz he's a clueless, corrupt old fart.

- sourstraws214 - 10-14-2012 02:52 AM

Stocks are the best way to invest your money. It is a big chance but parts of our 401K/Retirement Funds are in stocks. Plus with Social Security becoming scarce and the gov't running out of moola.. then its the only thing to up it up I guess.

- Ernest V - 10-14-2012 02:52 AM

The stock market has a proven track-record over any 20 year period.

Yes, it is subject to ups-and-downs, but over the long-run it always gains.

- karl_popper_fan - 10-14-2012 02:52 AM

source?

Also, if you were 65 today, and has put all the money the government TOOK from you and put in SS, and instead had invested it in a diversified stock portfolio over that same time period, you'd have more money!

- mary B - 10-14-2012 02:52 AM

Because that's what all his Wall Street lobbyists tell him to do.

- highboot709 - 10-14-2012 02:52 AM

it is indisputable that on our current course SS will be bankrupt in just a few decades............over the last 150 years the stock market averages between 9-12% growth

thats an average mind you but it sure beats the system we have now

- Teekno - 10-14-2012 02:52 AM

Because the stock market, while it has its occasional downturns, is a very good long-term investment. The market keeps increasing in value, and even a conservative, safe mix of securities will appreciate in value more than any government bonds would over any substantial period of time.

- Fez - 10-14-2012 02:52 AM

Yes, you're right, but I don't have any problem with giving people a choice. Let them choose to keep the government-funded variety, or let them invest it themselves. The market will offer a better return than the government can, for those brave enough to take a chance.

I would much prefer being able to take my FICA deduction and roll it into an 401(k). I have more faith in the market than I do in the government.

- dianak502002 - 10-14-2012 02:52 AM

Because he's a typical Republican, not the "change" agent he makes himself out to be. Making even part of Social Security money part of the stock market is stupid, look at how many people have lost money on their 401K's and other investments as it is? What would the government do to make up for that money, just say "whoops, sorry, your fault" and not make up for the losses?