Twitist Forums
Conservatives: Do you believe peoples' social security should be at the mercy of the stock market? - Printable Version

+- Twitist Forums (http://twitist.com)
+-- Forum: General Social Media & Marketing Forums (/forum-8.html)
+--- Forum: Social Marketing (/forum-10.html)
+--- Thread: Conservatives: Do you believe peoples' social security should be at the mercy of the stock market? (/thread-9558.html)

Conservatives: Do you believe peoples' social security should be at the mercy of the stock market? - Lois Griffin - 10-14-2012 06:39 AM

(not to excuse congress for mis-using SS funds, but gambling retirement security in the stock market is just plain stupid.)

- Uncle Pennybags - 10-14-2012 06:47 AM

Who says a private account has to invest it in the stock market?

Why can't I have the choice to invest it in Treasury Bonds if I wish, or FDIC insured CDs? Or Gold?

Oh, and by the way, despite all the ups and downs in the market over the last 12 years, I am well ahead on my 401k, by investing in those very stocks that you think are too risky.

- Torstein - 10-14-2012 06:47 AM

Its only stupid if you don't know how to make money in the stock market.

- 350 ppm goal - 10-14-2012 06:47 AM

They believe that CEOs should crontol SS.

- Oldwhiteguy2earth - 10-14-2012 06:47 AM

The stock market returns 7% on a historical average. People do not invest in stocks if they do not return more money than guaranteed savings accounts. I

If you take my "contributions" to SS and my employers' "contributions" to SS over the 49 years I worked and compounded them at 5% interest (what you could get in long term bank deposits), I should have $425,000 in my account. Instead there isn't one dime. That's what I call a foolish gamble.

- David - 10-14-2012 06:47 AM

The last time it was tried, only 4% of the individuals contribution would be privatized. 4%, but you libs didn't like that.

I did and still do want at least some of my money privatized. With the deal, you would have control of how that 4% would be invested, much like a 401(k) account.

With the control of your money, you would have had the ability to will that money to your family when you die. You can not do that with SS

- DR.R.Luxemburg - 10-14-2012 06:47 AM

I agree with your categorization The cons want to privatize SS in order to help their buddies the insurance companies. A similar plan under dictator Pinochet in Chile turned out to be a disaster

Hope this helps