Twitist Forums
What do you make of this British skater who got caught cheating twice and is blaming Twitter? - Printable Version

+- Twitist Forums (http://twitist.com)
+-- Forum: Twitter forums (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Twitter General help (/forum-6.html)
+--- Thread: What do you make of this British skater who got caught cheating twice and is blaming Twitter? (/thread-97092.html)

Pages: 1 2

What do you make of this British skater who got caught cheating twice and is blaming Twitter? - Deighton - 02-19-2014 12:24 PM

She got disqualified for rough house tactics in a race where she was barging opponents, and in her latest race she took a short cut and got caught out by a surveillance camera and disqualified again.

She seems to be trying to blame it all on Twitter trolls and has deleted her Twitter account in Stephen Fry style tantrum behaviour.

Do you think she is trying to deflect from the disgrace her treachery has brought on team GB?
she took a short cut around another skater right at the end to get first place (although it was a heat and she didn't need it). A camera shot confirmed that she had left the course and was on the inside of the circuit, which is the short way around.
I define cheating as 'breaking rules to gain an advantage'.
STEPHEN - you sond like a partisan fan of team GB who will sadly now defend rule breakers and scoundrels. I remember when the British concept of fair play was second to none. sadly this is no longer the case.

- Kelvin - 02-19-2014 12:25 PM

I think it's stupid. Live up to your mistakes. Going onto her social media's was a choice, and she decided to. What was she expecting? People are horrible about every athlete. She should admit her wrong doings and get on with it.

- Stephen - 02-19-2014 12:31 PM

How do you describe what she did as "cheating"? "took a short cut"?

"treachery"?

You sound like a typical troll.

- nemesis - 02-19-2014 12:32 PM

I don't think either of her disqualifications can be classed as 'cheating'. Mistakes happen - especially in speed skating where a contestant thinks they've got the momentum to pass another, who cuts in and a collision is unavoidable.And crossing the inner ring accidentally - my a few centimetres is hardly a 'short-cut' Mr D.
Competitors KNOW every move is monitored on camera so any deliberate attempt to cheat only ruins months/years of hard training.
I don't waste time with twitter but assume some mischief makers have been recording some unkind comments.

- angelina - 02-19-2014 12:38 PM

If that is the skater that brought down several others, well she made my night. I only watch it to see someone go *rse over t*t or *rse over skies.

- Andi C - 02-19-2014 12:47 PM

Your accusation implies intent rather than lack of judgement in the heat of competition. Currently I have seen nothing which would support that viewpoint.

- proudman860 - 02-19-2014 12:47 PM

That's nothing, at secondary school someone thought it appropriate to put me in the hockey team. I can still smell the blood. Maybe a spell in a Rusky prison will make her see the error of her ways?

- snafu - 02-19-2014 12:56 PM

People make mistakes. I don't believe any of it was intentional. In the heat of the moment things happen, so cut her some slack. All this social media stuff trolling and getting on her back is totally pathetic, driven by very immature non entities. There are a lot of them out there...hiding.

- Ralf Smarts - 02-19-2014 01:02 PM

took a short cut you say..

- news junkie - 02-19-2014 01:07 PM

She's a looser and should be disqualified. Too bad she isn't a yank, they'd let her do it again. Remember Tonya Harding?