This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Why does my school block everything on the computer?
10-12-2012, 12:37 AM
Why does my school block everything on the computer?
I know why they have the parental blocks, I don't have a problem with them blocking Facebook, Twitter, Myspace or any other sites, and I could see why, but what I have a problem with is when they block 95% or more sites I go to where I kinda need to search around for a school project, or when I need a picture for a power point. I can never get anything done on a school computer because 95% of the useful sites on the internet is all blocked, they're all blocked for stupid reasons. When I go to the site at home, I don't see any nudity, no swear words, the site is safe to go to, the site is not a social media site. So why do the schools block all the useful sites that have no meaning or reason as to why?

I know mainstream media could be a problem for this, but for god sakes, we're in high school, why block and censor every single thing? I can't even find a single picture for a power point I need. I hate it when Pandora, Grooveshark and any other streaming music site is blocked, so I can't listen to music while doing my work quietly. Usually music helps me focus because when we get in the computer lab everyone starts playing games and can get very distracting.
Yeah, I like Jimmy Page and Ozzy and Slash, if you can tell...

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-12-2012, 12:45 AM

Why are you asking random people who can not help you out whatsoever...?

Ads

I have a srange feeling your from my school...CMS
ring a bell?

Sick name, Jimmy page fan?

Schools are awful with this stuff, there's not a lot you can do. Maybe talk to the media people and explain your case. Educators should understand that listening to music helps some people learn. Also, if you're searching for school project materials, those things shouldn't be blocked. Sounds like your IT people need to figure out what is dangerous material. I understand Facebook being blocked, and so do you I guess. Does it tell you why these sites are blocked?
At my school Scottrade.com was blocked because it's an investing site. This actually cost me money, and I suppose education in the field I'm interested in. Don't let this happen to you, bring it up to the administrators.

Also, keep listening to Led Zeppelin.

Many times the software that they use blacks any site with a specific word. For example, a word that is probably blocked is "sex" so it will block websites that talk about anything that might need the use of the word "sex." So a website containing the following sentence would get blocked: An animals sex can be determined by..." Even though the website may be 100% scientific not dirty or inappropriate.

Any site with games may also be blocked, email, blogs, inappropriate langauge, etc.