This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
What is a good field to transition into with a sociology degree? Been working in social services?
01-22-2013, 11:46 PM
What is a good field to transition into with a sociology degree? Been working in social services?
Of course the impatience of my generation is kicking in, I am looking to further my career, looks like grad school. I have a B.S in sociology. Grad was my last resort, but after acheiving my goal of working for a non profit for about 6/7 months I now see it is going to be harder than I thought to move ahead, not financially (cause social services is the last field to do to make money) but growth careerwise. What are good fields to transition into with a Sociology degree? Well what would be a good idea to study in grad?
O my AA is in Psyh

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-22-2013, 11:54 PM

Hospitals will always be around. They need social workers so do Children and Youth Services, and nursing homes. I would say Psych would go hand in hand with sociology.

Ads

Law Enforcement.

marketing-- because it's about understanding people, and sociology would be good for that since you understand how people behave in groups and socieities.

Well grad school is a good idea if you want to do it however if you don't i would suggest a social research job. A job with brand marketing or law enforcement would be some options. If you do go to grad school a msw would put you in a good place career wise.

Hi Sharla! Congratulations on accomplishing this goal. As you know, sociology is the study of groups and within lots of professions there is a need for professionals that understand behaviour within the groups they influence and serve. It's safe to assume you will have lots of opportunities and the most important thing is picking something great for you!

It's always a good idea to look at what YOU are interested in to find what YOU should be doing. For Instance:

If you are interested in advertising and marketing and you decide to get a graduate degree in business (MBA) with an emphasis in Marketing, your Sociology background will give you insight to buyer behavior.

If you like government, you'll have an advantage studying politics through an understanding of voter behavior.

Likewise, if you are interested in education, your sociology background can help you learn student management, curricula design or do research on factors affecting learning styles.

I'm sure you get the idea. If you need help defining the things you are interested in, try some career counseling books ("What Color Is Your Parachute" is a great one) and stop by the career center at your local college.

Good luck!