This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Can you get a Fan fiction published?
02-26-2013, 10:46 AM
Can you get a Fan fiction published?
I'm writing a fan fiction. But it's not about another book. It's about one of my favorite shows, 'House of Anubis'. I really would like to try to get it published when I'm finished. I'm not nearly close because just started it last night but I want other people to read it besides my friends and family. I want people all around the world to read my fan fiction. But before I get there, I must know if it's possible to even get it published.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-26-2013, 10:54 AM

Well the writer of 50 Shades of Grey did.

Ads

02-26-2013, 11:03 AM

I think it depends on the type of show/book/game you're writing about. Sadly, I don't think that's a show that would get published. I've seen world of warcraft fan fiction books before. I suppose you could get anything you wanted published, but it would be at your own expense.
02-26-2013, 11:10 AM

50 Shades of Gray is fanfiction, loosely based on The Hunger Games. (I don't get the connection either, but that's what I've read.) You can get anything published, if you prove it's sellable before hand. (E.L. Gray posted 50 Shades on a fan fiction site and it caught on, so a publisher convinced her to lose money by signing with them. She could have made much more self-publishing, since the book already went viral.)
02-26-2013, 11:14 AM

I don't think its impossible to get it published. If it's good, then there is a chance that it will. However, I suggest that you first test out the audience outside of family and friends, such as using websites that publish books online freely.

There is a really good website with a collection of readers, authors, illustrators and social media called Wattpad.com . The best thing is that everyone there are either amateurs or just there for fun. Its my favorite site for reading fanfics and other stories and I think you should really check it out Smile

And no, I am not a worker of Wattpad and I just say this because I really genuinely like the site

hope that helps
02-26-2013, 11:19 AM

You cannot legally publish for profit. It's against copyright lawas and you'll find yourself with costly court case if it gets published- which no publisher would allow. However you can publish online for free, providing you make it clear you're writing for fun not financial gain. fanfiction.net is a good one to post on.
02-26-2013, 11:28 AM

E.L. James did it. Fifty Shades of Grey is a Twilight fanfiction, the only thing different is that the names have changed, they're all human, and Rosalie(Kate) is Bella's(Anna's) roommate.

Honestly though, I wouldn;t suggest trying to publish a fanfiction, ever. It's plagiarism in the simplest form.