This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Is this a good persuasive speech topic for my paper?
03-15-2014, 05:36 PM
Is this a good persuasive speech topic for my paper?
Is bullying really a big time issue in high schools today? I'm writing a persuasive paper and later I will have to present this to my class. I was looking up persuasive speech topics and I really wanted to write a speech discussing the topic of bullying. But I didn't find any topics I liked about bullying (the wording) So I made my own -Is bullying really a big time issue in high schools today? and I wanted to know if this was a good topic and if it's worded right. Before I decided to write this people so anybody that can help and lend your thoughts to this would be create.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-15-2014, 05:45 PM

Yes, but you need to make sure you have the facts to back it up.

Ads

03-15-2014, 05:50 PM

It is a very good and relevant topic in this day of school shootings, teen suicides, social media and rampant bullying.

I very recently saw an article about a teacher's presentation to her class about bullying that would make a good graphic presentation on the topic.

Hand out a blank sheet of paper to each student and instruct them each to crumple it, fold it, stomp on in, wad it up, but do not tear it. Then open the paper, smooth it out on their desk and instruct them each to say "I'm sorry" to their sheet of paper. You will notice that he creases and crumples are all still there and that simply saying I'm sorry did not make the sheet whole and new again.

The sheet of paper is the bullied student, the act of crumpling, folding, stomping and wadding the paper is the bullying and the creases and crumples are the emotional scars that he has suffered from the bullying.

Saying "I'm sorry" did not make the crumples and creases go away and make sheet new again. Saying "I'm sorry" to someone that has been bullied will not make the hurt and emotional scars that the bullied student feels go away either.

It's a powerful, attention grabbing way to make the point very clear that bullying and completely unacceptable.