This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Can I connect a second modem to my network?
04-28-2014, 08:34 PM
Can I connect a second modem to my network?
Ok so heres the thing Im a straight A student and dont do drugs or anything of the sort but for some reason my mom started unplugging the router at 9 pm because Im stayin up late doing hw for all the AP classes im in lol. What i am wondering if it will work if i connect a second modem that i buy online and connect it to the cable wire located in my room and run an ethernet cord from it to my computer. Can I possibly get internet this way? Note the other modem would be unplugged.

Also please no answers talking about how this is unmoral or whatever I dont care.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-28-2014, 08:37 PM

You could do that, but...

The router serves an important purpose in isolating your computer from the Internet. If you connect your computer directly to a broadband of DSL modem, your computer will be assigned a public, routable IP address. In the case of Windows, the resulting direct exposure will probably result in your PC being cracked and infested with malware.

When connected via a router, the router assigns a private IP address and prevents external machines from getting to your PC and causing harm.

Perhaps you should talk to your mom about why she's cutting off your Internet access. I'm sure she isn't doing it to be mean-spirited.

Ads

04-28-2014, 08:40 PM

For 99.9% of residental cable/dsl/uverse etc customers, the house gets it connection from ONE jack that's typically the one nearest to the modem. It's very difficult to replace the MODEM as they're configured with unique information that correlate to your account/billing etc. I'm assuming a few very common details about how your house is wired but the short answer is no, you cannot do what you're thinking.

I love these kinds of problems that invoke critical thought..(especially when I was young with nothing better to do)

Re-arrange the "problem" in your head, but instead of brainstorming from your room backwards start at the cable modem. Do you know if she is unplugging the entire router, or just your cable? (I would assume until proven otherwise it's just your cable..I'm not turning off MY Internet for nothing lol). If it's just your cable, I'd presume the wireless is still working. A PCI or PCI-E wireless card you CAN purchase from online and would be a much simpler proposition.

If she is in fact turning off the entire router, is she leaving the modem on? If so, you should be able to come up with some creative solutions that involve purchasing a second router or maybe only a switch, splitting the ethernet cable coming from the modem to the router, make it look natural, etc. This is really hard to determine based on the info available, but be creative and don't give up!

I'm sympathetic because I remember being your age and having all of that "AP Homework" to do. And when parents unplugged me, well how am I supposed to get good grades, get into a good college, and have a fruitful life? Mannn Parents just don't understand. Haha.. good luck technosport.
04-28-2014, 08:44 PM

I you have a smart phone with unlimited data and fast internet. you can pay around 10$&#x2F;month for hotspot and u can use that. Not the best idea but what.
04-28-2014, 08:46 PM

Had shaw as my isp before and thought of the same thing to better my experience. But in my case, I actually had another modem exactly the same as the one in use. Long story short, once i plugged it in with the original one turned on, did not work, so i though i needed to unplug the original one. defeating the purpose, i still unplugged the original one and tried the other one by itself; did not work. Seems like they actually lock your account to a certain modem through its serial number, because everytime i called they'd ask for it.
So that was my experience. BTW, why modem only needed its power cord and a coaxial input, then only one ethernet cable for output which was connected to the router.