This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Why are many black people called "acting white" if they don't fall into negative stereotypes?
04-08-2014, 04:32 AM
Why are many black people called "acting white" if they don't fall into negative stereotypes?
For example, if a black person doesn't fit the ghetto archetype, they're regarded as being stuck up, uppity, bougie or white. If a black person is into fitness (especially a black woman), then she is regarded as trying to look white. I've been told that after losing weight. If a black person rats organic food or shops at Trader Joe's, Whole Foods or Farmer's Market, they're told that they're trying to be like white people. If a black person hangs out with white people, they're called sellouts. If they date non-black people, they're sellouts and self haters. If they move out of the hood into a nice neighborhood, they're trying to be like white people.

I don't get it. It's actually an insult when you think about it. Why are the bad things called acting black and the good things called acting white? Even when non-blacks fall into the ghetto stereotype, they're seen as low on the totem pole.

Thoughts? Thank you.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-08-2014, 04:39 AM

Because we don't fall into negative stereotypes.

In the self hating black persons mind we should all behave negatively. When we don't we are apparently "acting white." Need I go on?

Ads

04-08-2014, 04:47 AM

Everything you said links to racism.

Racism means the belief that one group of people is superior in all ways to another group of people.
That means...

---Eating habits
---Fitness
---Socioeconomic status

The racist believe those types of good living conditioned are entitled to them...and only them. If someone not part of their group has these things, they assume that person is a sellout and whats to be like them.
Of course, for their racial prejudice to spread, they need influence right?
Think back in the 50s, where did racist make influential speeches?

Churches, schools, and national television.

It still happens today, only the racist aren't direct with their racial prejudice. Sadly, many people of different ethnic background buy into the generalization they make, thus those generalizations become stereotypes.

A stereotype is a widely held opinion based off of someone or something.
You have a ton of people believing the stereotype, people are going to expect the stereotype from a certain group of people. That stereotype becomes a stigma for that certain group of people.

A stigma is mark of disgrace passed down as a social norm in society. People are expected to live up to their stigma if they are ascribed one. Not living up to the stigma means you want to be different from what is expected of your group.

Thus...we get the concept of black people that don't live up to their stigma want to be like white people as white people are stigmatized as being fortunate, healthy, and nice, while black people are the opposite.
04-08-2014, 04:49 AM

First off, I am a white guy. And I have never heard any of this "acting white" stuff you are referring to. So that tells me it is probably something culturally related. While I understand that racism does still exist the seperation of culture is probably responsible for a good part of it, at least in the US. The US is made up of so many diverse races and cultures its almost imperative that people assimilate into an American culture in order to get rid of racism. So instead of "acting white" you should be "acting American".
04-08-2014, 04:56 AM

I've been told this all my life because of my proper use of grammar, I refrain from cussing or using slang I've been called acting white. I don't let it get to me anymore, if that's how other people want to view me then that's their problem. I'm happy with who I am, I'm single without kids, I own my condo and Lexus, I paid back all my student loans and debts, my bills are paid on time or in advanced.
04-08-2014, 05:00 AM

it's b.s. most of those who support this have very low aspirations. this is good, because now you know the type or group of people to avoid. they stive for low achievements, if that makes any sense. No money in ignorance.
04-08-2014, 05:02 AM

If a white person walks up to you and be like &quot;aye shorty I&#x27;m trynna see what that mouth do&quot; wouldn&#x27;t you say that he was acting black or a wigga???? Same thing with black people when someone uses proper english and act stuck up and bougie we assume that you grew up around white people why is it not offensive when we can say that a white is trying to act black like on Malibu&#x27;s most wanted but we can&#x27;t say that blacks are trying to act white you shouldn&#x27;t be offended by it I guess.
04-08-2014, 05:07 AM

Erm, I think it depends on who the hell comes out with things like that, especially "if a black person is into fitness (especially a black woman), then she is regarded as trying to look white ? I've been to the gym, but I don't recall the last time I sweated so profusely as to see my skin change to the colour white. And as for my ***, if I work out more surely it'll become all the more...bouncier than it is... Just saying.