This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Any Marketing Tips for Self-Publishing?
04-08-2014, 08:27 PM
Any Marketing Tips for Self-Publishing?
I am self-publishing a fantasy novel through Createspace.com called Epic War, it's already available on kindle and with luck the paperback should be on Amazon soon enough.

Now I sort of know how to do signing events, though not perfectly, and I already have a press release I've been hawking out, and this week I'm expecting an author profile to appear in the local paper. Of course signing events take a lot of time and sometimes a little money, and even they're difficult to promote, so no turnouts seem to be guaranteed. So far I haven't been successful in marketing at all. Everyone who's read my past books/stories loves them (yes even strangers I've met admire my writing style, so it's not just mom, dad, and a couple aunts and uncles) Even an English professor once raved about my first book, so I know it's not that my books suck, it's just most people don't seem to know enough about it or know it exists at all.

For this next book I want to take it a little more seriously, thus my press release, Facebook page and blog. I seem to be making more progress but so far I've spent more on promotion than I've taken in and selling has proven more difficult than I thought.

Does anyone here have any marketing tips for new writers, particularly those of us who don't have Random House at our backs or don't have the name Stephen King. Efficient ways to market a new book, especially if they are low cost. The best answer will be the most detailed, most numerous/best suggestions and tips, I'd deeply appreciate it. Thanks
As I already said I self-published through Createspace, which is a self-publishing company they do POD as well as offering assistance with distribution, I am technically independent and retain all rights. I did not ask about publishing though I asked about marketing, I already went through the steps of becoming self-published I need to know about marketing. Thanks

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-08-2014, 08:27 PM

What is Self-Publishing?
Self-publishing will be defined differently depending on who you ask. According to people who work in traditional publishing houses, authors who pay for their editing, formatting, or cover design are self-publishing their work. The book is traditionally published only if the publishing expenses are paid by the publisher. However, this often excludes marketing services.
Self-Publishing Independently
In the purest sense, self-publishing occurs when an author handles the entire book publication process, including printing, distribution, and marketing. Author execution of all details during the self-publishing process is also commonly called independent publishing.
The author either has the skill set to carry out the book publishing step, such as book formatting, or employs professionals to complete the process for them. The author largely creates his or her own self-publishing experience, rather than purchasing a company’s services.
Independent publishing requires that authors have in-depth industry knowledge, cultivated management skills, and complete commitment to their entire publishing process.
Self-Publishing with a Company
Authors who publish with the help of a self-publishing company are also self-publishing. This is because the author is financing the majority of the publishing process. There are many different self-publishing companies available to authors who want to self-publish.
Some self-publishing companies offer publishing services to authors who are unable or would rather not deal with the details of the publishing process. In this instance the author pays the self-publishing company to handle the publishing process for them. Examples of services commonly provided include ISBN assignment, book cover design, interior layout, editing, distribution and marketing. Some self-publishers are designed only to get the book printed, while others mimic traditional publishing houses providing a full set of publishing and marketing services.
The key to choosing a self-publishing company is doing your research. Generally the self-publishing company that can offer all, or most, of your publishing and marketing services adds cohesion to your final product. Choose a self-publishing company (or a person in the business) you trust, and let them guide you.
Print-on-Demand Self-Publishing
Some kinds of self-publishers specialize in print-on-demand (POD) and commonly work specifically with authors who need very small quantities of printed books. POD publishers don’t screen submissions, and primarily offer printing and design services. POD is also used by larger companies occasionally to do test marketing or while reprinting out of print books.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply