This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Feeling excluded from technology?
06-22-2014, 03:05 AM
Feeling excluded from technology?
I don't have a smartphone and I feel bratty for saying this, but all my friends are on their phones on Instagram or playing games while I feel extremely left out and awkwardly sit there playing tetris on my shitty phone. At one point while we're hanging out or at a sleepover, they pull out their phones and do whatever. I want to ask them politely to get off their phones, but they're my friends and it would be awkward without the entertainment of social media apps or games. Apps are like an icebreaker, but I feel very left out.
Another example is my teacher chose me for the privilege of doing a special project, but part of the special project involved a pricy technology app that my family didn't want to buy, considering it would be used for a one time project. My parents weren't willing to buy it, so I told my teacher this, so he gave me a disapproving look and chose another person to do the project. I was very envious and sad when that person presented in front of the class and was given applause (I understand that what I am saying is selfish).
I just cannot understand why people need to afford technology to "fit in". My parents aren't poor but people think I am just because I don't own the latest, or even the oldest version of the iphone. One person even asked me straight up, "are you poor?" so I made a joke about my crappy phone, but afterward, I just felt very upset.
Please give me good advice rather than telling me to "not mind what others say" because being surrounded by iphones everywhere, I feel a bit embarrassed and self-conscious.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-22-2014, 03:15 AM

you want good advice, get a job and buy your own stuff

Ads

06-22-2014, 03:27 AM

I know what you feel like. I have a really shitty old phone too, and all my friends have iPhone 5s. They make me kind of jealous, but you know what? it's just stupid apps. Don't let that rule your life. Grow up, get a job, earn money, make wise decisions, and you'll have a great life.
06-22-2014, 03:42 AM

You really do not need to get the latest iphones. There are other brands that have the sae features or more. Sometimes it is not smart to jump on the same bandwagon like the rest, You do not have to own the latest but at least you must be able to find an alternative. Keeping up with technology is good for you but you shoud be able to find an alternative to educate yourself.