This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How exactly are the poke suggestions decided by facebook? What's the algorithm behind it?
11-09-2012, 01:05 PM
How exactly are the poke suggestions decided by facebook? What's the algorithm behind it?
And the friends displayed on your timeline. On what basis are they chosen?

I'm sure it's not as simple as "people you talked to recently" or "people who comment/like your stuff the most".

One of the people constantly appearing on my timeline is someone I used to fancy at one point but never made a move because I was convinced he didn't like me that way. We've exchanged a few messages at one point, probably less than ten, and never liked or commented on anything the other person posted. I don't visit his profile and he definitely doesn't stalk mine.
I've got a lot of friends on facebook. And by a lot, I mean A LOT. They are people I talk to often, people I used to talk to but not anymore and people I don't talk to at all. This guy belongs to the second group. I've never seen anyone else from the second group appear on my timeline but His face is always there. I just don't get why.

As for the poke suggestions - I've recently added another guy who goes to my school, he accepted and... that's it. There's been NO fb interaction between us. But for some reason he's always a poke suggestion. At first I thought it was meant to show freshly-added people to get that first conversation started with a poke or something, but then I realised that I've never seen any others of my "new" friends on the list.

It's really interesting, I'd love to figure out the method.

Oh yeah, and my friends are constantly teasing me because they're apparently jealous of my fb as I "see good-looking people everywhere I go". ...Whatever xD

Sooo... Got any ideas? Big Grin

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-09-2012, 01:14 PM

First, I believe it suggests your mutual friends, then the ones you chat with most often, and then the ones that comment on your posts normally, and THEN a random pick from your Facebook Friends.

Ads

11-09-2012, 01:14 PM

no one is really sure about any of facebook's algorithms - they arent published anywhere