This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
My parents don't respect my privacy!!?
11-09-2012, 06:21 PM

Well, I see that a couple of parents have answered your question by saying that kids should not have privacy. I disagree, and I'm a responsible adult.

I think that your mother made a mistake. My advice is to learn how to put a password on your computer so that she can't access it. In case she figures out how to get past the password, always log out of your email. Learn how to lock your fanfic documents/folders with a password. I don't know what kind of computer you have, otherwise I'd tell you. You could post a question here on Yahoo Answers in the computing section if you need help.

I would tell your mother that EVERYONE deserves some privacy. You are growing into an adult and you need space to have your own thoughts. Your mother would (I hope) NOT hide in the bushes to listen in on conversations you have with your friends. So she shouldn't lurk on your computer either.

What your mother should be doing is teaching you how to be an independent, responsible person so that you can take care of yourself. It is a parent's JOB to teach kids how to be responsible. So your mother should be teaching you things like never to post naked photos of yourself online or to friends, to make sure your Facebook privacy settings stop strangers from contacting you, things like that.

Your mother is wrong about parenting magazines. There are all kinds of different opinions on what level of privacy "good" parents allow. I'm a professor. What I see is that kids whose parents DON'T allow privacy and independence usually don't end up being very successful. They don't know how to be responsible and independent. They are often the worst students. And parents who obsess about what their kids are doing online are often not that bright, in my opinion.

Good luck.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
[] - Hannah - 11-09-2012, 06:21 PM
[] - lily - 11-09-2012, 06:21 PM
[] - Antst - 11-09-2012 06:21 PM
[] - Wayne - 11-09-2012, 06:21 PM
[] - Deacon - 11-09-2012, 06:21 PM
[] - LoLo - 11-09-2012, 06:21 PM
[] - Humbertoo - 11-09-2012, 06:21 PM
[] - Mellissa - 11-09-2012, 06:21 PM