This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
What are the positive effects/consequences on a girl of growing up without a father?
11-09-2012, 09:18 PM

I studied public health. I also have many relatives who are single mothers with children. Generally, the financial challenges tend to be more harsh. The lack of a male father figure also has a psychological impact. At the aggregate level, adolescent girls without children tend to be more promiscuous. This puts them at risk for STD, teen pregnancy, or emotional problems from the dynamic relationships of breakups. The era of facebook and twitter can make the latter more traumatic and public with status notes, pictures, internet flaming, etc.

If the father was violent, then it's better that he's gone in my opinion. They tend to repeat the pattern from early childhood into adulthood. The potential for domestic violence can exist for decades. So a girl without a violent father may not necessarily be a bad thing. In a very large family, the lack of a father figure can be compensated effectively by a surrogate like an uncle, older brother, grandfather, etc. In a few cases, a step father can also serve as a mentor (though never the "true" father). But the latter is better than nothing. However, a horrible stepfather can make the situation worse. In these situations, the single mothers who raised the child with all the responsibility should be revered. But many times they are overwhelmed by the financial stress and parenthood. So it's a fragile situation in many cases.
http://mentalhealth.about.com/cs/familyr...sex503.htm

The demographic group of single mothers and children without their biological fathers has grown rapidly in recent decades. So it's not uncommon. Divorce and failed relationships often lead to single motherhood in unexpected circumstances. It puts the children at risk when the fathers are gone. However, there are exceptions and success stories can be found. Here is a great website discussing the issues.
http://futureofchildren.org/futureofchil...ionid=3649
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
[] - Me - 11-09-2012, 09:18 PM
[] - angel - 11-09-2012, 09:18 PM
[] - RULE BRITANNIA - 11-09-2012, 09:18 PM
[] - Samantha G - 11-09-2012, 09:18 PM
[] - tifah - 11-09-2012, 09:18 PM
[] - ASUGRAD - 11-09-2012 09:18 PM
[] - Taren - 11-09-2012, 09:18 PM