This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How can one constantly worship the US constitution when the electoral college makes it so fundamentally flawed?
11-10-2012, 12:53 AM

"Worship"? My eyes won't roll far enough into the back of my head.

But I can answer the rest of your question replacing "worship" with "support". The election process has changed several times within the constitution. It is indeed a flawed document, which is why the people who wrote it added an amendment process. Within the lifetimes of people still alive today, for instance, the voting age was lowered to 18, and before that, people were guaranteed a vote regardless of gender or ancestry. Other good changes have happened, like the 2 term limit for president and a change in the way we replace the President and Vice President.

It isn't fundamentally flawed, though; it has produced a stable form of government which can be built on. "Fundamentally" would suggest that no matter what we did, we would never have a government that could function at all, which is clearly not the case. Presidents still advertise and debate and make promises and encourage you to vote for them; all that would be completely unnecessary if things were fundamentally flawed as you suggested.

The electoral college is an idea that can easily be made workable just by finding non-partisan means of setting up voting districts. Colorado is one example of a state whose electoral college works the right way. It, like any other idea, has been abused in the past. But fighting those abuses is a much better answer than starting from scratch with another idea. We at least know what's wrong with the electoral college and how to fix it; that wouldn't be true if we came up with a harebrained scheme on the spot to replace it because we threw the baby out with the bathwater.

If you'll forgive me for saying so... well you won't but I'm saying it anyway. This is an obvious play. You and I both know that people concerned with civil rights and liberties abuses talk a lot about the electoral college- gerrymandering, packing, sweetheart deals, you name it. And we both know that the same people like to use the Constitution, a document which limits the power of the federal government and outlines its responsibilities, for what it was designed for. You think, hey, if I can set these two ideas against each other, profit, right?

The problem is that you are an absolutist, and a bit power hungry, and that's obviously how you view other people too. People don't "worship" the Constitution. They just know what it is and what it's for. It's a shield. Yes it has dents and holes. But if you have any sense, you just repair those when you get a chance; you don't throw it away in the middle of battle.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
[] - Jimmy - 11-10-2012, 12:53 AM
[] - picador - 11-10-2012, 12:53 AM
[] - Jc Espinoza - 11-10-2012, 12:53 AM
[] - JoeBotts - 11-10-2012, 12:53 AM
[] - Fanaticaltub656 - 11-10-2012, 12:53 AM
[] - Silas G - 11-10-2012 12:53 AM
[] - mvymvy - 11-10-2012, 12:53 AM