This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Should workers have more democracy in the workplace?
11-19-2012, 02:19 AM
Should workers have more democracy in the workplace?
It is not uncommon for US businesses to follow an authoritarian , command chain model of power distribution and decision making. Some voices argue that this increases efficiency and productivity. Some other voices argue that this is in discrepancy with the overall values of the country (which are democratic) and that it limits the freedom of those who work.

What do you think? Are people free at work? Should they have more freedom? Should they not?
Do you perceive the chain command model as a short term privation of freedom of any sorts?
Longlive and others,

Asking questions is at the very base of our culture. And asking questions is the basis of progress and innovation. Just because something is status quo of your culture it doesn't mean you shouldn't be free to speak about it. That is , in the end, what makes us valuable as a civilization.
JB,

I agree, that is a well thought point of view.
Longlive,

No, actually, it would. Just because you wouldn't ask it it doesn't mean nobody else would.
Natasha,

Yes , that is a very good suggestion. My question indeed doesn't have anything to do with past political regimes, but it was meant to invite to free and constructive sociological and philosophical discussion.
I only asked the question, I didn't really answer it, so I never said that I am for or against it.

So, if it will be better understood this way, I should reformulate: do people feel that subordinate employees should have a bigger voice in the workplace? Would this be fair to owners of businesses? To workers themselves?
Phoenix ,

I don't know why you keep mentioning Marxism. Again, my question pertains more to the field of management science, or to industrial and organizational psychology , rather than to politics and the government. My primary focus was however philosophical and sociological. At any rate, I never implied any political agenda of any groups of interest that exist or existed out there.

And workplace democracy is not a marxist doctrine that should be made illegal like you say!! Respected researchers into management methodology have written on different aspects of enhancing worker freedom and satisfaction in the workplace, usually with the purpose of more productivity. In fact, a number of companies apply such principles with their employees already , and they are the product of capitalism, not of communism! (!)!

Why can't people just talk openly about something without resorting to close minded stereotypes? AND without getting informed (at all?!) ?
Natasha,

Thank you, this is a great answer! I see where you are coming from, and I share some of your views. When put in the position of the leader, I try to maintain the leader-servant position (as much as is realistic) , and I guess I do mix it with a paternalistic approach. But I have always also mixed it with a democratic approach, in that I have tried to put as many things to vote as realistically possible , and I strived to give people the feeling that what is happening is the application of their contributions. But I guess this depends a lot on your context and the people you manage. If it is initiative driven people , a democratic style works. If not, then you are right , a more authoritarian style is needed. At any rate, you brought some great insight, I've learned a lot!
p.s.: I think the best way to put my vision of democratic organization is that it can still be done with strong leadership. The two would not have to be mutually exclusive.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Should workers have more democracy in the workplace? - the voice - 11-19-2012 02:19 AM
[] - Pearl L - 11-19-2012, 02:28 AM
[] - JB - 11-19-2012, 02:28 AM
[] - thegreatone - 11-19-2012, 02:28 AM
[] - Phoenix Quill - 11-19-2012, 02:28 AM
[] - DM - 11-19-2012, 02:28 AM
[] - longliveabcdefg - 11-19-2012, 02:28 AM
[] - Natasha's Ghost - 11-19-2012, 02:28 AM
[] - CoolLuke - 11-19-2012, 02:28 AM
[] - Klondike - 11-19-2012, 02:28 AM