This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
What is real motivation of the liberals?
11-19-2012, 02:47 AM

I am not afraid to say I am a liberal. But that does not mean I vote party line democrats. Parts of me are fairly conservative. I am toying about voting for McCain. I have voted for him before, and I have voted for Schwarzenegger. What are my values?

1. Good education. Educate my children well -- along with all of the other children in this country. A well educated populace well make the country richer.

2. Treat everyone fairly. Everyone needs the opportunity to succeed.

3. Health care. Something needs to be done. The lack of portability of health care insurance is hurting our economy. I am further concerned that we are getting gamed by the insurance companies on benefits, and the marginal cost of the gaming is costing too much. Universal health care may be the most cost effective solution.

4. I want my kids (I have some) and their kids to have a good, safe place to live. This means protecting our environment. I am concerned that we may have a collapse in some of the services we get for free from the environment like clean water. Global warming will happen -- the question is how much? The disruptions could cause serious conflicts and human migration.

5. Some social insurance. We are interdependent on each other. We need to recognize that. If Bill Gates couldn't find anyone to sell him a hamburger, he wouldn't be rich, he'd be poor. Besides, it is good for the social order.

6. Error on the side of Caution. I am a conservative on deficit, foreign policy and some economic issues. I have a big disagreement with the neo-cons. It was risky to go into Iraq. It seems most people in this country are still wonder why the Sunni and Shitites are fighting -- "they all look alike." It's as if they never learned about all the blood spilled in the reformation.

And it was really stupid not going into Iraq without overwhelming force. If you are going to do something risky, hedge your bets.

I also take issue with the borrow and spend approach to government. Also, the republicans relaxation of the banking and mortgage market has been destructive. Free markets, by themselves, don't always work. To work, a free market relies on the implicit assumption of honesty. Regulation is sometimes necessary to keep the market honest.

These rather stupid Bush policies have led to the slide in the dollar. About 40% in the run up in gas prices can be attributed to the slide in the dollar. Thank you GWB.

7. We have an energy crisis on our hands. The world's oil and gas production will peak sometime in the next 20 years, and world wide demand is increasing. We can't continue to sop up 25% of the world supply without mortgaging our future.

8. Pragmatic Rational Foreign Policy. You can't just ignore the world, nor ignore a country because you don't like it. It was stupid to ignore North Korea. It has been stupid to ignore Iran. You don't make them your freinds, but they don't have to be your enemies either. Consider them rivals, and deal with them as rivals, but deal with them.

Why would I vote for McCain? Because, unlike a number of bury your head in the sand republicans, he actually gets it: America has problems that need to be faced. And he might be able to get some headway on some of these issues.

Why would I not vote for Obama? I remember when Bill Clinton came into office and wasted all of his political capital on gays in the military. (Which I support, but he handled it so poorly). Then there was the health care fiasco. Then there was Monica. Clinton spent most of his presidency just keeping his head above water. Obama is an unknown. He may do the same stupid stuff.

So, why would I vote for Obama. His rhetoric is better on more of my issues then McCain.

For me, Obama's big advantage is that he doesn't have to kowtow to the crazies in the republican base. And he can probabably ignore the crazies in the democratic base.

Have a good weekend -- and while you are at it, wash the car and rip that stupid Romney -Huckabee sticker off of your bumper. ;-)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
[] - agreeablebeetle230 - 11-19-2012, 02:47 AM
[] - Remo Ω Aviron - 11-19-2012 02:47 AM
[] - kilaho - 11-19-2012, 02:47 AM
[] - wyldfyr - 11-19-2012, 02:47 AM
[] - I_heart_fugin - 11-19-2012, 02:47 AM
[] - lifer - 11-19-2012, 02:47 AM
[] - Red Baron - 11-19-2012, 02:47 AM
[] - Glenda B - 11-19-2012, 02:47 AM
[] - reportmeloser - 11-19-2012, 02:47 AM