This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
My daughter's imaginary friend (long but PLEASE read)?
11-27-2012, 07:10 AM

All that information then you say that your daughter has a therapist and has bipolar, depression and ADHD! I think that rather answers your own question! She doesn't have bipolar AND depression, the depression is a symptom of her bipolar which will alternate between mania and depression.

In bipolar 1 it is common to have hallucinations and that sounds as if your daughter is following that path. An imaginary friend is common although most 18 year old have grown out of it. I wonder how much is now a hallucination rather than imagination?

It's good she has a therapist who is aware of the imaginary person and presumably will work on that with her. I guess her depression and her ADHD is creating difficulty at school with other students. Is she managing to study and pass exams? I'd be surprised if she is. It sounds as if she is withdrawing from society and it's important to take action to prevent it continuing.

I can see lots more problems coming along if she is as bad as this at 18. I wish it was different but it's possible the mania will disappear, only 1 manic phase is required for bipolar and some have only that one. I assume she is on mood stabilisers? If so they may keep her from the manic phases as well as cut the worst off the depression.

It's down to the therapist to work with your daughter on Steven and getting rid of him, maybe she doesn't want to get rid of him or see any problem with having him around. Lack of friends can be adding fuel to the fire. Feel free to discuss this with your daughter but don't get angry or make any demands.

Good luck

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
[] - Joy - 11-27-2012 07:10 AM